Forums > Game Forums > Should I go on?

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/15/2009 12:22 AM · Permalink · Report

As I said before, I'm not having a lot of fun with this game. I'm a fan of shooters and I'm a fan of horror games, but while this is admittedly a pretty competent shooter and it does have a few nicely-placed scares here and there, I feel that something is missing. Some kind of ethereal, unexplainable thing that usually manages to get me involved with the events taking place inside the screen. I don't know how to better explain it. If I had to describe my overall impression of DS so far in one word, it would be "soulless".

Now, there have been a few short scenes I found fairly good, and the perspective of seeing more of those is pretty much the only thing that makes me come back every now and then. One that comes to mind is the moment I entered this infirmary of sorts and found this insane nurse repeatedly stabbing a body on a gurney until it became a shapeless bloody pulp. That was nice.

Last night I had what I think has been the first proper boss fight so far, against this Leviathan thing. Hands down, it has been THE highest point in the game so far, and certainly a moment to remember for years to come. It was way easier than it appeared to be at first, like it happens with every fucking console game and their mother nowadays, but it was still a memorable fight.

My question is, since I know there's a Mobygamer or two that did enjoy this game from end to end: Does it get any better than that? Is there any other Leviathan-style cool moment to come or am I just gonna be running silly errands for 6 more hours or so with the ocasional swarm of monsters jumping me now and then?

I just noticed I'm a little more than halfway into the game, and I'm seriously considering just dropping it now for good, for fear that from now until the end it will be all downhill, so at least I could keep a good memory of the best moment in the game. Should I?

BurningStickMan (17916) on 5/15/2009 2:25 AM · Permalink · Report

My favorite part of the whole game was probably the atmosphere and design, which it doesn't sound like you're enjoying in the same way. Story a close second, but you didn't mention that at all. Those two helped me to overlook the fetch and fix it missions. Also enjoyed the zero-g moments, and there are a few more of those left.

There's a memorable boss fight at the end (maybe more so than the Leviathan), but a lot of chores to slog through before it. I specifically remember an annoying "protect key item from spawning bad guys" section, and an even worse "drag objective with your grapple beam for about thirty minutes, stopping to open gates and shoot enemies" section. It sounds like you'll really question continuing once you get to that part.

Myself, I'd finish playing the game just to know. But from what you've described, I'm leaning toward no.