Forums > Game Forums > Very nice.

Indra was here (20756) on 6/1/2013 11:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Surprisingly good this game. Small and solid, doesn't bite more than it can chew. Weird this hybrid, the existing genres don't do it proper justice, thankfully the game description does. Makes me want to create a Game Feature: Ship/Vehicle Customization game group.

If only this were a sandbox game + space trading game. Yeah, this game is a top priority in casual gaming recommendations.

Alaka (106066) on 6/1/2013 11:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Indra, I've never played this game before, however I have seen it being referred to as a roguelike on various sites. Do you agree with this assessment? Would it fit our gamegroups definition of a roguelike?

Indra was here (20756) on 6/2/2013 12:12 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

No, it's not rogue-like in that sense, just it feels similar due to the permadeath effect and random generated 'rooms' (read=sectors) if you will. Other than that, no similarities whatsoever. Which is a bit odd in a space game where you individually control team members to manage a ship in combat.

Just to give you a quick summary about gameplay:

1. Control a spaceship starting with 3 original members. Members start with zero skill but will gradually progress during the game (piloting, weapon systems, etc.) depending on which console station you assign them to.
  2. You move with a new sector in any direction, resulting in triggering an event (usually 60-70% chance of a hostile encounter...sometimes you have the chance to avoid combat, but you get nice stuff if you defeat the enemy ship). Other cases it's just an event where you get stuff. So if you want a rogue-comparison, it's like each room only has one tile, with you and the enemy on the same tile. :p And oh, combat is (semi) real-time. We really need a separating time genre for turn-based, real-time, and semi/pause-able timetables.
  3. Unlike rogue-games, here you can't move as you please. Stay too long and the rebel fleet from the edge of the map catches up to you, so it's a cat and mouse game to the next map.
  4. Equipment only consists of upgrading your ship. Partially manually via scrap metal you gain in your travels or other events, the rest must be done via shop.

It seems we don't have a permadeth game group yet.

Indra was here (20756) on 6/2/2013 9:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh, continuing the discussion...I just realize technically, even this game doesn't qualify as permadeath. I mean permadeath is technically supposed to delete your character/save file permanently right?

Here you can save once and it exits the game. Dunno why they even bother.

Patrick Bregger (299977) on 6/2/2013 9:42 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I don't see how save-at-exit goes against the permadeath concept as long as the savegame is deleted after it was loaded. It probably allows for cheating by duplicating the savegame, but this does not count because it is outside the game. It would be like saying that a SNES game with permadeath does not qualify because you can save with an emulator or a hardware device.

This feature is also a necessity for games with optional permadeath modes because are usually too long to complete in one reasoable sitting, e.g. The Witcher 2.