Gameplay feature: Character development - Skill distribution
Group DescriptionThis group contains all games in which the character development is based on manually developing character attributes or skills. When certain criteria are met, a fixed amount of points is distributed to raise a character's attribute or make them learn or improve a skill.
- Also included are games in which skills are bought instead of improved, as long as there is an underlying experience points mechanic. Example: Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
- If a game has partly automatic skill distribution, it still belongs into this group. Example: in Baldur's Gate some stats (e.g. hit points) rise automatically, but others like thief skills are divided manually.
- The group can also include games which disguise the experience points mechanics. Examples: System Shock 2 has no level ups but is still a valid entry because the cybermodules work like directly distributed experience points. They are only received after completing objectives or exploration.
- Deus Ex: Invisible War is not valid because augmentations and upgrades are bought with money. There is no experience point mechanic present.
- A rule of thumb: when in doubt and the game in question is not an RPG, there is a good change it does not belong into this group. However, there are exceptions like No One Lives Forever 2
Related game groups
- Gameplay Feature: Character development - Automatic leveling
- Gameplay Feature: Character development - Skill development / training
|Viewing Page 1 of 7||(items 1-25 of 157)||Next|
Front cover for Gothic II: Night of the Raven
Front cover for Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
Front cover for Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Front cover for Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption (Collector's Edition)
Front cover for Fallout: New Vegas
Screenshot from Gothic II: Night of the Raven
Screenshot from Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
Screenshot from Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Screenshot from Fallout: New Vegas
Screenshot from Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura