This group contains all games in which the character development is based on manually developing character attributes or skills. When certain criteria are met, a fixed amount of points is distributed to raise a character's attribute or make them learn or improve a skill.
- Also included are games in which skills are bought instead of improved, as long as there is an underlying experience points mechanic. Example: Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
- If a game has partly automatic skill distribution, it still belongs into this group. Example: in Baldur's Gate some stats (e.g. hit points) rise automatically, but others like thief skills are divided manually.
- The group can also include games which disguise the experience points mechanics. Examples: System Shock 2 has no level ups but is still a valid entry because the cybermodules work like directly distributed experience points. They are only received after completing objectives or exploration.
- Deus Ex: Invisible War is not valid because augmentations and upgrades are bought with money. There is no experience point mechanic present.
- A rule of thumb: when in doubt and the game in question is not an RPG, there is a good change it does not belong into this group. However, there are exceptions like No One Lives Forever 2
Related game groups
|Game Title||Year||Platform||Publisher||User Score|
|Deus Ex: Human Revolution||2011||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Square Enix, Inc.||4.12|
|Fallout: New Vegas - Honest Hearts||2011||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Bethesda Softworks LLC||2.70|
|The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (Director's Cut)||2011||Macintosh, Windows||CD Projekt RED Sp. z o.o.||3.84|
|Total War: Shogun 2||2011||Macintosh, Windows||ak tronic Software & Services GmbH||...|
|The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings||2011||Windows||Atari, Inc.||4.19|
|Dragon Age II (BioWare Signature Edition)||2011||Macintosh, PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Electronic Arts, Inc.||...|
|Dragon Age II||2011||Macintosh, PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Electronic Arts, Inc.||3.85|
|Mass Effect 2||2011||PlayStation 3||Electronic Arts, Inc.||4.02|
|Dragon Age II: Mark of the Assassin||2011||Macintosh, PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Electronic Arts, Inc.||4.00|
|Dragon Age II: Legacy||2011||Macintosh, PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Electronic Arts, Inc.||3.83|
|Neverwinter Nights: The Complete Collection||2011||Windows||Atari, Inc.||...|
|Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City||2010||Nintendo DS||Atlus U.S.A., Inc.||...|
|Mass Effect 2||2010||Windows, Xbox 360||Electronic Arts, Inc.||4.21|
|Final Fantasy XI Online: Vision of Abyssea||2010||PlayStation 2, Windows, Xbox 360||Square Enix Co., Ltd.||...|
|Final Fantasy XI Online: Scars of Abyssea||2010||PlayStation 2, Windows, Xbox 360||Square Enix, Inc.||...|
|Final Fantasy XI Online: Heroes of Abyssea||2010||PlayStation 2, Windows, Xbox 360||Square Enix, Inc.||...|
|Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening||2010||Macintosh, PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Electronic Arts, Inc.||4.01|
|Xenoblade Chronicles||2010||New Nintendo 3DS, Wii, Wii U||Nintendo of America Inc.||4.46|
|Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money||2010||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Bethesda Softworks LLC||2.94|
|Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition||2010||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Electronic Arts, Inc.||4.00|
|Fallout: New Vegas (Collector's Edition)||2010||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Bethesda Softworks LLC||...|
|Fallout: New Vegas||2010||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Bethesda Softworks LLC||3.76|
|Final Fantasy XIV Online||2010||Windows||Square Enix, Inc.||3.83|
|Final Fantasy XIV Online (Collector's Edition)||2010||Windows||Square Enix, Inc.||4.48|
|The Precursors||2009||Windows||Game Factory Interactive Ltd.||3.73|
Game group created by Patrick Bregger
(160405), additional games added to group by Fred VT
(692), Victor Vance
(631), click here to win an iPhone9SSSS
(15946), Unicorn Lynx
(174029), Indra is stressed
(19940) and Donatello