Genre: Simulation - City building
Group DescriptionCity Building games identify its primary gameplay as the construction, development, administration, and management of a city, town, or similar venues where the player takes the role of a governor, ruler, or similar roles to successfully achieve the aforementioned goals.
This managerial simulation/strategy hybrid was initially popularized by games such as the SimCity series and Caesar series. Traditionally such games were identified with an isometric or top-down visual perspective and were also usually real-time.
City building games usually are identifiable by one or more of the following traits:
- Main gameplay map is the city or town itself.
- The city or town mentioned are usually already owned or may only be developed by the player.
- Any form of opposition usually is located off-map.
- Manual strategic placement of roads, structures or other buildings.
- Manual management of citizen demands.
- Trade and taxation, usually micro economics.
- Upgrading options for structures and buildings.
- Manipulation and exploitation of surrounding resources.
City building must be identified as the primary gameplay of the specified game. Not to be confused with RTS (Real-Time Strategy) games or other strategy games, where building does occur, however as a secondary part of gameplay (e.g. for warfare purposes, although still an important part of the gameplay). Thus, such games should be excluded from this game group (simply put, gameplay is primarily for city building purposes).
Examples of aforementioned games not to be included: Age of Empires, Warcraft, Command and Conquer, Railroad Tycoon, etc.
Front cover for The Great Empires Collection II
Front cover for The Settlers: Fourth Edition
Front cover for The Settlers III: Ultimate Collection
Front cover for SimCity 4: Rush Hour
Front cover for Pharaoh
Screenshot from The Settlers: Fourth Edition
Screenshot from The Settlers III: Ultimate Collection
Screenshot from SimCity 4: Rush Hour
Screenshot from Pharaoh
Screenshot from Cleopatra: Queen of the Nile