Group DescriptionThis group contains games based on previously published works of literature and characters from those works. This can include novels, short stories, or any other form of written fiction, published in books, plays, magazines, in e-books or even online as text.
- If the game directly references content or design from another adaptation of a literary work (such as a movie), it is no longer considered to be based solely on the original work and is instead based on the new derivative work.
- Works of literature which are based on an already existing game are not eligible for this group. In those cases the literature is inspired by the game, not the other way around.
- Legendary characters such as Zeus, King Arthur or Robin Hood are based on a loose series of tales and mythology. For that reason, different materials have sprung up with completely different retellings and the characters themselves do not really apply to any particular piece of literature. These can only be included in this group if the game references a specific book, author, or story.
- Games which merely recreate the atmosphere of a certain author or set of stories are not to be included in this group.
- Agatha Christie
- Alexandre Dumas
- Arkadi and Boris Strugatsky
- Astrid Lindgren
- Edgar Allan Poe
- H. P. Lovecraft
- Jirō Akagawa
- J. R. R. Tolkien
- Jules Verne
- Philip K. Dick
- Robert Louis Stevenson
- William Shakespeare
- Games made into books
- Inspiration: Comics
- Inspiration: Movies
- Inspiration: TV series
- Manga/ anime licensees
Front cover for Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor
Front cover for The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure
Front cover for The Cat in the Hat
Front cover for Nancy Drew: The Secret of Shadow Ranch
Front cover for Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
Screenshot from Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor
Screenshot from The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure
Screenshot from Nancy Drew: The Secret of Shadow Ranch
Screenshot from Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
Screenshot from Upptäck rymden med Mulle Meck