This game group is dedicated to games where its primary (or secondary) gameplay focuses on trading/bartering goods, resources, or items for a profit. The player usually plays the role of an individual travelling trader, or merchant company, or a nation, with the process of trade is conducted manually
(not computer automated). Depending on the game, profit may be obtained by the player through manually selecting and buying goods in one location and selling them at another location (shops, towns, planets, etc.).
Merchant / Trade-oriented games usually have the following characteristics:
- Obtaining profit through trade is usually explicitly expressed throughout the game or through official sources (e.g. game manual, etc.).
- Trade must be conducted by the player manually. Thus, gameplay may consist of the player researching goods and price differences for a profitable route.
- Computer-assisted scripts may be provided optionally to the player (e.g. caravan routes, etc.).
- Trade goods/items usually have no additional benefits to the player (e.g. cannot be used or equipped).
Related Game Groups
- Does not apply to games where trade although exists as an integral part of the game, is automatically set (though a computer animated script which may be manually created within the game), thus does not require manual selling of goods or items (i.e. political/war-themed games such as Sid Meier's Civilization or 4x games does not apply). The term 'trading simulation' is commonly used in this respect.
- Does not apply to common adventure role-playing games (RPGs), where items, including weapons and armor may be available for buying and selling, does not necessarily primary gameplay intent of buying/selling items for profit, as intended by this game group, unless the game optionally and explicitly expresses trade as an integral part of the gameplay.
- Does not apply to games where the player may buy or sell parts/accessories for the player's car, rubber ducky, spaceship or other forms of transportation.
- To be limited from sport-themed managerial games, where the player can buy or sell players, etc.
- Not to be confused with 'managerial games' which although focuses on managing resources, trade is usually set automatically.
|1193 Anno Domini: Merchants and Crusader||2001||Windows||Blackstar Interactive GmbH||1.33|
|1701 A.D.||2006||Windows||Aspyr Media, Inc.||4.16|
|1701 A.D.: Gold Edition||2008||Windows||Aspyr Media, Inc.||...|
|1869||1992||Amiga, DOS||Flair Software Ltd.||3.45|
|Anno 1701: Dawn of Discovery||2007||Nintendo DS||Ubisoft Entertainment SA||4.21|
|Anno 1701 (Limited Edition)||2006||Windows||Deep Silver||4.50|
|Anno 1701: The Sunken Dragon||2007||Windows||Deep Silver||4.00|
|Business Man 2000||2001||Windows||4.00|
|Canton: An Atlas Pathfinder Adventure||1994||DOS||NNN Software||...|
|Caravaneer||2007||Browser, Windows||Sugar Free Games, S.L.||3.60|
|Darkstar One||2006||Windows, Xbox 360||CDV Software Entertainment AG||3.60|
|Dawn of Discovery||2009||Nintendo DS, Wii||Ubisoft, Inc.||3.57|
|Die Fugger II||1996||DOS, Windows||Sunflowers Interactive Entertainment Software GmbH||4.70|
|Die Gilde DS||2009||Nintendo DS||RTL Playtainment||...|
|Die Gilde: Gaukler, Gruften & Geschütze||2003||Windows||JoWooD Productions Software AG||...|
|Dope Wars||1998||Windows||Beermat Software||3.73|
|Drug Wars: A Game Based on the New York Drug Market||1984||DOS||2.50|
|Dynatech||1992||Amiga, DOS||Magic Bytes||3.00|
|East India Company||2009||Windows||1C Company||3.62|
|East India Company: Privateer||2009||Windows||Paradox Interactive AB||...|
|Elite||1984||Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Apple II, Atari ST, BBC Micro, Commodore 64, DOS, MSX, NES, ZX Spectrum||Firebird Licensees Inc.||3.43|
|Elite Plus||1991||DOS, PC-98||Microplay Software||3.63|
|Escape Velocity||1996||Macintosh||Ambrosia Software, Inc.||3.72|
|Escape Velocity Nova||2002||Macintosh, Windows||Ambrosia Software, Inc.||3.97|