Games deriving gameplay and appearance from the 1980 mainframe game Rogue
, later published for home microcomputers by Epyx
and inspiring a long legacy of Hack
While there are some debates as to what constitutes a Rogue-like, the following three features are considered crucial among the community:
- Dungeon crawl with randomized dungeons, where maps, items, and monsters are generated anew with each new game.
- Perma-Death: You have only one save game and it is deleted upon death. If you die, you have to start a new game.
- Automapping: The dungeon is unexplored, entering a new room or section will reveal the room and will be permanently recorded.
The following additional features are also often found in rogue-likes, especially traditional ones:
- Turn-based gameplay, especially single-action-per-turn.
- Single player character game.
- A 2D top-down ASCII text graphics, with text symbols representing players, monsters, items, walls, (modern rogue-likes allows opportunity to replace them by graphical 2D tile sets or even isometric graphics), etc.
- Rogue-like games are traditionally freeware and often open source.
- Unidentified items: weapons, armor, scrolls, and other objects. Identifying them may require a scroll of identification (and its variations) or acquire the services from a storekeeper.
- The ability to throw any object (including non-weapons) and damage enemies with them.
These features are not necessarily required to be included in the game, but at least two or more of them should be present.
A bordering case that is hotly disputed in the Roguelike community is Diablo
, a game inspired by Roguelikes, which added real-time game-play and isometric graphics. These games should not be added here as it only has one of these additional features (single character play); also perma-death is not implemented by default (optionally added as Hardcore mode in Diablo II
Related Game Groups
|Game Title||Year||Platform||Publisher||User Score|
|Soul Fjord||2014||Ouya||Airtight Games, Inc.||...|
|The Valley||1982||BBC Micro, Commodore 64, Electron, Oric, ZX Spectrum||ASP Software Ltd.||...|
|Our Darker Purpose||2014||Windows||Avidly Wild Games||...|
|Crypt of the NecroDancer||2015||iPad, iPhone, Linux, Macintosh, PlayStation 4, PS Vita, tvOS, Windows||Brace Yourself Games||...|
|Leap of Fate||2016||Windows||Clever-Plays||...|
|Dungeon||1979||Commodore PET/CBM||Code Works, The||...|
|A Fistful of Gun||2015||Windows||Devolver Digital||...|
|NetHack||1987||Acorn 32-bit, Amiga, Android, Atari ST, Browser, DOS, GP2X, GP2X Wiz, GP32, iPhone, Linux, Macintosh, OS/2, Windows, Windows Mobile||DevTeam||3.81|
|Telengard||1982||Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, Commodore PET/CBM, DOS, FM-7, PC-88, PC-98, TRS-80, Windows||The Avalon Hill Game Company||3.39|
|Sword of Fargoal||1982||Commodore 64, VIC-20||Epyx, Inc.||...|
|Epic Dungeon||2010||Xbox 360||Eyehook Games||...|
|Sunless Sea||2015||Linux, Macintosh, Windows||Failbetter Games Ltd||...|
|Rogue Clone||1988||DOS, iPhone, Linux||Gandreas Software||...|
|Dungeons of Dredmor||2011||Linux, Macintosh, Windows||Gaslamp Games, Inc.||3.71|
|Rogue||1984||Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Android, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS, GP2X, GP32, Linux, Macintosh, Roku, TRS-80 CoCo, ZX Spectrum||Artificial Intelligence Design||3.57|
|Dungeon Pub Crawl||2013||Browser||Grey Alien Games||...|
|Tower of Guns||2014||Linux, Macintosh, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox One||Grip Digital, s.r.o.||...|
|Hack Lite||1989||Amiga||The Software Distillery||...|
|Cave Noire||1991||Game Boy||Konami Industry Co. Ltd.||...|
|Caverns of Xaskazien||1995||DOS, Windows||Little Devils Inc.||3.33|
|Sublevel Zero||2015||Linux, Macintosh, Windows||Mastertronic Group Ltd.||...|
|Dunzhin||1982||Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, PC Booter, TRS-80||Computer Applications Unlimited||3.38|
|Ziggurat||2014||Linux, Macintosh, PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox One||Milkstone Studios S.L.||...|
|The Flame in the Flood||2015||Macintosh, Windows, Xbox One||Molasses Flood, LLC, The||...|
|Castle of the Winds II: Lifthransir's Bane||1994||Windows 3.x||Monkey Business, Inc.||...|
Game group created by Pseudo_Intellectual
(45655), additional games added to group by Jeff Sinasac
(7766), Patrick Bregger
(373759), General Error
(4130), Игги Друге
(121952), Indra is stressed
(75412) and SharkD