A group for games prominently featuring zombies. Although it is unclear where in mythology zombies have originated from, they have been identified to originate from sources as early as Norse mythology to even earlier Sumerian mythology (though distinction between the undead in general is unclear). The zombie
definition and its variations are more commonly known to be of African or Haitian voodoo-related origins (i.e. Haitian snake god Zombi). Interpretations of popular culture from classic role-playing games, cult novels, movies, with influences from mentioned mythologies, have later formed a consensus on the characteristics of the zombie. Zombies, based on the aforementioned interpretations may traditionally have one or more of the following traits:
- Undead beings, usually summoned forth by necromancers or by other means of dark magic.
- Nocturnal creatures, rarely active during the day-time or where sunlight is present.
- Usually inhabits graveyards, catacombs or ritually unclean (unholy) sites, feeding on other dead corpses (and living creatures foolish enough to venture near).
- Usually slow-moving, mindless, suffers various stages of decomposition and a serious lack of personal hygiene.
- Wears shredded or torn clothing, almost similar to the fashion sense of the 1980s and heavy metal bands :p.
In video gaming, zombies were brought to the spotlight by games such as Resident Evil
and House of the Dead
. Later interpretations, no longer limit zombies to humanoid creatures or products of dark magics. Apparently, zombies now can run without losing their legs in the process and may be created from laboratory-engineered viruses or other sci-fi elements.Limitations
Related Game Group(s)
- Although arguably similar one way or the other, mummies, liches, vampires, wraiths, and person(s) inhabiting retirement homes, should be excluded from this game group. Please limit zombies to the common or popular understanding of zombies as aforementioned and tell grandpa he doesn't belong here (yet).
|Game Title||Year||Platform||Publisher||User Score|
|Entombed||1982||Atari 2600||U.S. Games||2.68|
|Zombies / Sword of Peace||1982||ZX81||Artic Computing Ltd||...|
|Zombies||1983||Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum||BRAM Inc.||4.08|
|Zombies & Potholes||1983||Jupiter Ace||Jupiter Cantab Ltd.||...|
|The Evil Dead||1984||BBC Micro, Commodore 64||Palace Software, Ltd.||...|
|Zombi||1986||Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS, ZX Spectrum||Ubi Soft Entertainment Software||3.81|
|Zombie Hunter||1987||MSX, NES||Hi-Score Media Work Corp.||...|
|Road Raider||1988||Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum||Mindscape, Inc.||2.94|
|Splatterhouse||1988||Arcade, FM Towns, iPhone, TurboGrafx-16, Wii||Namco Bandai Games America Inc.||3.79|
|Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti||1989||NES||Namco Limited||4.17|
|Friday the 13th||1989||NES||LJN Toys, Ltd.||2.40|
|Beast Busters||1989||Amiga, Arcade, Atari ST||Activision, Inc.||...|
|Zombie Nation||1990||NES||Meldac of America Inc.||2.56|
|Horror Zombies from the Crypt||1990||Amiga, Atari ST, DOS||Millennium Interactive Ltd.||3.24|
|Doraemon: Giga Zombie no Gyakushū||1990||NES||Epoch Co., Ltd.||...|
|Death Knights of Krynn||1991||Amiga, Commodore 64, DOS, PC-98||Strategic Simulations, Inc.||3.79|
|Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion||1991||DOS, J2ME||Froggman||3.58|
|Nightmare Collection: Dead of the Brain - Shiryō no Sakebi||1992||FM Towns, MSX, PC-98, Sharp X68000||FairyTale||...|
|Zombie Apocalypse||1992||Amiga, Atari ST||Epic Marketing||...|
|Zombie Dinos from Planet Zeltoid||1992||CD-i, DOS||Interplay Productions, Inc.||...|
|Splatterhouse 2||1992||Genesis, Wii||Namco Bandai Games America Inc.||3.55|
|Zombies Ate My Neighbors||1993||Genesis, SNES, Wii||Konami, Inc.||3.77|
|Splatterhouse 3||1993||Genesis||Namco Hometek Inc.||3.78|
|Alien Carnage||1993||DOS, Windows||Apogee Software, Ltd.||3.83|
Game group created by Ace of Sevens
(4225), additional games added to group by Cantillon
(13779), Patrick Bregger
(37072), Novox Master
(8), Victor Vance
(116368), Cor 13
(174144), Indra is stressed
(20584), 雷堂嬢太朗 -raido.jotaro-
(58395), Tomas Pettersson
(23286) and Jeanne