A group for games prominently featuring zombies. Although it is unclear where in mythology zombies have originated from, they have been identified to originate from sources as early as Norse mythology to even earlier Sumerian mythology (though distinction between the undead in general is unclear). The zombie
definition and its variations are more commonly known to be of African or Haitian voodoo-related origins (e.g. Haitian snake god Zombi). Interpretations of popular culture from classic role-playing games, cult novels, movies, with influences from mentioned mythologies, have later formed a consensus on the characteristics of the zombie. Zombies, based on the aforementioned interpretations may traditionally have one or more of the following traits:
- Undead beings, usually summoned forth by necromancers or by other means of dark magic.
- Nocturnal creatures, rarely active during the day-time or where sun-light is present.
- Usually inhabits graveyards, catacombs or ritually unclean (unholy) sites, feeding on other dead corpses (and living creatures foolish enough to venture near).
- Usually slow-moving, mindless, suffers various stages of decomposition and a serious lack of personal hygiene.
- Wears shredded or torn clothing, almost similar to the fashion sense of the 1980s and heavy metal bands :p.
In video gaming, zombies were brought to the spotlight by games such as Resident Evil
and House of the Dead
. Later interpretations, no longer limit zombies to humanoid creatures or products of dark magics. Apparently, zombies now can run without losing their legs in the process and may be created from laboratory-engineered viruses or other sci-fi elements.Limitations
Related Game Groups
- Although arguably similar one way or the other, mummies, liches, vampires, wraiths, and person(s) inhabiting retirement homes, should be excluded from this game group. Please limit zombies to the common or popular understanding of zombies as aforementioned and tell grandpa he doesn't belong here (yet).
|Monster Madness: Grave Danger||2008||PlayStation 3||SouthPeak Interactive Ltd||...|
|Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ||2008||Nintendo DS||Destineer||4.20|
|Zombie Baseball||2008||Browser||Armor Games Inc.||2.00|
|Left 4K Dead||2008||Browser||3.33|
|Left 4 Dead||2008||Macintosh, Windows, Xbox 360||Valve Corporation||3.96|
|Sam & Max Episode 203: Night of the Raving Dead||2008||iPad, iPhone, Macintosh, Windows||GameTap LLC||3.76|
|The Last Guy||2008||PlayStation 3||Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated||2.67|
|The Last Stand 2||2008||Browser||Armor Games Inc.||3.83|
|Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia||2007||Windows, Xbox 360||SouthPeak Interactive, LLC||2.86|
|Resident Evil: The Essentials||2007||PlayStation 2||Capcom Entertainment, Inc.||4.67|
|Zombie Smashers X3: Ninjastarmageddon!||2007||Windows||Ska Studios, LLC||4.17|
|Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles||2007||PlayStation 3, Wii||Capcom Entertainment, Inc.||3.72|
|Touch the Dead||2007||Nintendo DS||Secret Stash Games||3.05|
|Dementium: The Ward||2007||Nintendo DS||Gamecock Media Group||3.75|
|Zombie Shooter||2007||Windows||1C Company||3.38|
|The Last Stand||2007||Browser||Armor Games Inc.||3.76|
|Boxhead: More Rooms||2007||Browser||CrazyMonkeyGames.com||3.20|
|Hall of Game: 4Games - Volume 10||2007||Windows||Frogster Interactive Pictures AG||...|
|Zenek Zombie||2007||Windows||Kalafior Games||3.80|
|Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad||2006||Xbox 360||D3Publisher of America, Inc.||1.78|
|American McGee presents Bad Day LA||2006||Windows||Aspyr Media, Inc.||2.42|
|Ultimate Ghosts'N Goblins||2006||PSP||Capcom Entertainment, Inc.||3.91|