A group for games prominently featuring zombies. Although it is unclear where in mythology zombies have originated from, they have been identified to originate from sources as early as Norse mythology to even earlier Sumerian mythology (though distinction between the undead in general is unclear). The zombie
definition and its variations are more commonly known to be of African or Haitian voodoo-related origins (e.g. Haitian snake god Zombi). Interpretations of popular culture from classic role-playing games, cult novels, movies, with influences from mentioned mythologies, have later formed a consensus on the characteristics of the zombie. Zombies, based on the aforementioned interpretations may traditionally have one or more of the following traits:
- Undead beings, usually summoned forth by necromancers or by other means of dark magic.
- Nocturnal creatures, rarely active during the day-time or where sun-light is present.
- Usually inhabits graveyards, catacombs or ritually unclean (unholy) sites, feeding on other dead corpses (and living creatures foolish enough to venture near).
- Usually slow-moving, mindless, suffers various stages of decomposition and a serious lack of personal hygiene.
- Wears shredded or torn clothing, almost similar to the fashion sense of the 1980s and heavy metal bands :p.
In video gaming, zombies were brought to the spotlight by games such as Resident Evil
and House of the Dead
. Later interpretations, no longer limit zombies to humanoid creatures or products of dark magics. Apparently, zombies now can run without losing their legs in the process and may be created from laboratory-engineered viruses or other sci-fi elements.Limitations
Related Game Groups
- Although arguably similar one way or the other, mummies, liches, vampires, wraiths, and person(s) inhabiting retirement homes, should be excluded from this game group. Please limit zombies to the common or popular understanding of zombies as aforementioned and tell grandpa he doesn't belong here (yet).
|The Pinball of the Dead||2002||Game Boy Advance||SEGA Corporation||3.62|
|Lunchtime of the Damned||2001||Windows||4.00|
|Zombie Smashers X||2001||Windows||Totally Screwed Software||3.20|
|Resident Evil: Code: Veronica X||2001||Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Capcom Entertainment, Inc.||3.81|
|Resident Evil: Survivor 2 - Code: Veronica||2001||PlayStation 2||Capcom Co., Ltd.||3.19|
|Resident Evil: Gaiden||2001||Game Boy Color||Capcom Entertainment, Inc.||2.93|
|Biohazard 5th Anniversary special package||2001||PlayStation 2||Capcom Co., Ltd.||1.95|
|Resident Evil: Code: Veronica||2000||Dreamcast||Capcom Entertainment, Inc.||3.95|
|Martian Gothic: Unification||2000||PlayStation, Windows||Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.||2.99|
|Blair Witch, Volume III: The Elly Kedward Tale||2000||Windows||Gathering||3.26|
|The Typing of the Dead||2000||Dreamcast, Windows||Empire Interactive Entertainment||3.33|
|MediEvil II||2000||PlayStation||Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc.||3.58|
|Resident Evil: Survivor||2000||PlayStation, Windows||Capcom Entertainment, Inc.||2.69|
|The Devil Inside||2000||Windows||Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.||3.58|
|Evil Dead: Hail to the King||2000||Dreamcast, PlayStation, Windows||THQ Inc.||2.48|
|LEGO Alpha Team||2000||Game Boy Color, Windows||LEGO Media International, Inc.||3.64|
|Resident Evil 3: Nemesis||1999||Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation, PlayStation 3, PSP, PS Vita, Windows||Capcom Entertainment, Inc.||3.79|
|Blood II: The Chosen - The Nightmare Levels||1999||Windows||GT Interactive Software Corp.||3.72|
|Zombie Revenge||1999||Dreamcast||SEGA of America, Inc.||3.40|
|Thief: Gold||1999||Windows||Eidos, Inc.||4.11|
|Shadow Man||1999||Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, Windows||Acclaim Entertainment, Inc.||3.59|
|Abomination||1999||Windows||Eidos Interactive, Inc.||2.99|