A group for games prominently featuring zombies. Although it is unclear where in mythology zombies have originated from, they have been identified to originate from sources as early as Norse mythology to even earlier Sumerian mythology (though distinction between the undead in general is unclear). The zombie
definition and its variations are more commonly known to be of African or Haitian voodoo-related origins (e.g. Haitian snake god Zombi). Interpretations of popular culture from classic role-playing games, cult novels, movies, with influences from mentioned mythologies, have later formed a consensus on the characteristics of the zombie. Zombies, based on the aforementioned interpretations may traditionally have one or more of the following traits:
- Undead beings, usually summoned forth by necromancers or by other means of dark magic.
- Nocturnal creatures, rarely active during the day-time or where sun-light is present.
- Usually inhabits graveyards, catacombs or ritually unclean (unholy) sites, feeding on other dead corpses (and living creatures foolish enough to venture near).
- Usually slow-moving, mindless, suffers various stages of decomposition and a serious lack of personal hygiene.
- Wears shredded or torn clothing, almost similar to the fashion sense of the 1980s and heavy metal bands :p.
In video gaming, zombies were brought to the spotlight by games such as Resident Evil
and House of the Dead
. Later interpretations, no longer limit zombies to humanoid creatures or products of dark magics. Apparently, zombies now can run without losing their legs in the process and may be created from laboratory-engineered viruses or other sci-fi elements.Limitations
Related Game Groups
- Although arguably similar one way or the other, mummies, liches, vampires, wraiths, and person(s) inhabiting retirement homes, should be excluded from this game group. Please limit zombies to the common or popular understanding of zombies as aforementioned and tell grandpa he doesn't belong here (yet).
|Choice of Zombies||2012||Android, Browser, iPad, iPhone||Choice of Games LLC||3.00|
|Deadlight||2012||Windows, Xbox 360||Microsoft Studios||3.40|
|Lollipop Chainsaw (Premium Edition)||2012||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Kadokawa Games, Ltd.||3.00|
|A comic of zombies||2012||iPhone||myLittleBets||...|
|Lollipop Chainsaw||2012||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Inc.||3.11|
|Zombro||2012||Android, iPad, iPhone||Making Fun, Inc.||...|
|Ultimate Battle Zombies||2012||iPhone||Riptide Games, Inc.||...|
|The Walking Dead||2012||Macintosh, PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Telltale, Inc.||4.22|
|The Walking Dead: Episode 1 - A New Day||2012||iPad, iPhone, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Telltale, Inc.||4.11|
|Zombies: Run or Kill||2012||Android, iPad, iPhone||GoodSoundsApps||...|
|Dead Trigger||2012||Android, iPad, iPhone||MADFINGER Games, a.s.||4.00|
|Undead Storm||2012||Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DSi||Gamebridge Ltd.||...|
|i saw her standing there||2012||Browser||krangGAMES||3.40|
|Afternoon of the Dead||2012||Android, iPad, iPhone||Interactive Blasphemy LLC||...|
|Brawl Busters||2012||Windows||Rock Hippo Productions Ltd.||3.00|
|Organ Trail: Director's Cut||2012||Android, iPad, iPhone||The Men Who Wear Many Hats LLC||3.50|
|Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City||2012||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Capcom Entertainment, Inc.||3.44|
|Dead Island (Special Edition)||2011||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Deep Silver, Inc.||3.50|
|Dead on Arrival||2011||Android, iPad, iPhone||N3V Games Pty Ltd.||3.29|
|Organ Trail||2011||Browser||The Men Who Wear Many Hats LLC||3.50|
|Dead Pixels||2011||Windows, Xbox 360||CSR-Studios||3.71|
|Zombie Parkour Runner||2011||iPad, iPhone||Break Media||...|
|The Dead: Chapter One||2011||Android, iPad, iPhone||Corncrow Games AB||...|
|Metal Dead||2011||Windows||Walk Thru Walls Studios||3.60|
|The House of the Dead: Overkill - Extended Cut||2011||PlayStation 3||SEGA of America, Inc.||2.86|