Group DescriptionA group for games prominently featuring zombies. Although it is unclear where in mythology zombies have originated from, they have been identified to originate from sources as early as Norse mythology to even earlier Sumerian mythology (though distinction between the undead in general is unclear). The zombie definition and its variations are more commonly known to be of African or Haitian voodoo-related origins (i.e. Haitian snake god Zombi). Interpretations of popular culture from classic role-playing games, cult novels, movies, with influences from mentioned mythologies, have later formed a consensus on the characteristics of the zombie. Zombies, based on the aforementioned interpretations may traditionally have one or more of the following traits:
- Undead beings, usually summoned forth by necromancers or by other means of dark magic.
- Nocturnal creatures, rarely active during the day-time or where sunlight is present.
- Usually inhabits graveyards, catacombs or ritually unclean (unholy) sites, feeding on other dead corpses (and living creatures foolish enough to venture near).
- Usually slow-moving, mindless, suffers various stages of decomposition and a serious lack of personal hygiene.
- Wears shredded or torn clothing, almost similar to the fashion sense of the 1980s and heavy metal bands :p.
- Although arguably similar one way or the other, mummies, liches, vampires, wraiths, and person(s) inhabiting retirement homes, should be excluded from this game group. Please limit zombies to the common or popular understanding of zombies as aforementioned and tell grandpa he doesn't belong here (yet).
Front cover for Dead on Arrival
Front cover for Zombie Gunship
Front cover for Deadlight
Front cover for Metal Dead
Front cover for The House of the Dead: Overkill - Extended Cut
Screenshot from I Shall Remain: Prologue
Screenshot from Dead on Arrival
Screenshot from Zombie Gunship
Screenshot from Deadlight
Screenshot from Metal Dead