Description1701 A.D. is part three of the ANNO / A.D. series and combines the most successful aspects of 1602 and 1503. In this strategy game, you have to build up your own settlement and fight against pirates and other competitors. The AI players have an own profile and act very differently, from war declarations over trade agreements to alliance pacts.
The main challenge of 1701 is to build up a settlement from simple pioneers up to aristocrats. You need to construct and manage a blossoming economy and supply your inhabitants with special buildings and goods. Pioneers need almost nothing and aristocrats want access to all the available goods, slowly introducing the learning curve.
The player has the choice of different game types: Tutorial, Scenarios (10), Continuous Play (main part of 1701), the Playground (a place where the player can build all that he likes without paying any costs or check out the needs) and Multiplayer (up to 4 players).
- "航海新世紀" -- Taiwan title
- "創世紀 1701" -- Japanese spelling
- "Anno 1701" -- European title
Part of the Following Groups
- ANNO / A.D. series
- Games made into books
- Merchant / Trade-oriented games
- Theme: Sea Pirates
- Video games turned into board / card games
|Must be one of the most stupid concepts in RTS warfare...||Indra is engaged (19911)|
|Gamezoom||Nov 26, 2006||92 out of 100||92|
|Gameswelt||Oct 25, 2006||92 out of 100||92|
|Spieleflut.de||Oct 30, 2006||91 out of 100||91|
|PC Pointer||Nov 08, 2006||91 out of 100||91|
|eXp.de - Extreme Players||Oct 24, 2006||8.8 out of 10||88|
|PC Games (Germany)||Oct 30, 2006||82 out of 100||82|
|IGN||Oct 30, 2006||8.2 out of 10||82|
|Games Radar||Nov 01, 2006||8 out of 10||80|
|FZ||Nov 13, 2006||80|
|Gaming Nexus||Dec 26, 2006||7.8 out of 10||78|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Historical inaccuraciesThe plot involves the "New World" and historically that refers to the Americas, and seeing the specific geography detail, actually refers to the Carribean. Though oddly enough, despite meeting the Chinese and the Indians there in the 1700s, you also see gorillas, elephants and zebra's among others, which are native animals only in Africa and Asia.
SalesAccording to the German magazine PC Powerplay (issue 02/2007), which refers to Mediacontrol, 1701 A.D. was the best-selling game in 2006 (Germany).
- 2006 – Best German Game of the Year
- 2006 – #2 Best Successor of the Year
- GameStar (Germany)
- February 1, 2007 - Best PC Strategy Game in 2006 (Readers' Vote)
- PC Powerplay (Germany)
- Issue 02/2007 – #4 Best Game in 2006 (together with Titan Quest)
- Issue 02/2007 – Best Strategy Game in 2006
- Issue 03/2007 – Best Strategy Game in 2006 (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- AnniWiki 1701 (German wiki with general information and hints.)
- ANNO 1701 (Official game website)
- D.E.A.P. !70! (Fanpatch which unlocks the Asian buildings for general building and makes the game harder.)