DescriptionDrive some of your favourite sports cars through wild and fast tracks, including the Dodge Viper, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, Mazda RX7, Toyota Supra Turbo, and Acura NSX. Some of the tracks are open road, meaning you simply fly down a huge highway, with cops following in hot pursuit. One of the options in the game allows you to pick which time of the day to race in.
- "Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed" -- Full title
- "Road & Track Presents: Over Drivin' DX" -- Japanese PlayStation title
- "Road & Track Presents: Over Drivin'" -- Japanese 3DO title
- "Nissan Presents: Over Drivin' GT-R" -- Japanese Saturn title
- "NfS" -- Common abbreviation
- "Need 4 Speed" -- Informal title
- "オーバードライビンGT-R" -- Japanese Saturn spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Automobile: Chevrolet Corvette
- Automobile: Dodge Viper
- Automobile: Ferrari Testarossa
- Automobile: Honda NSX
- Automobile: Lamborghini Diablo
- Automobile: Mazda RX-7
- Automobile: Porsche 911
- Need for Speed series
- PlayStation Greatest Hits releases
There are no reviews for the 3DO release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
The Press Says
|Coming Soon Magazine||Mar, 1995||100|
|The Video Game Critic||Dec 07, 2010||A-||91|
|All Game Guide||1998||90|
|GamePro (US)||Mar, 1995||4.5 out of 5||90|
|Mega Fun||Jul, 1995||88 out of 100||88|
|Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM)||Apr, 1995||8 out of 10||80|
|Video Games & Computer Entertainment||Mar, 1995||7 out of 10||70|
|CD Player||1996||7 out of 10||70|
|Digital Press - Classic Video Games||Jun 27, 2006||7 out of 10||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
ExtrasThe Japanese Sega Saturn version of this game was supplied with a custom Nissan keyring made out of metal.
Intro animationsThe game has three different FMV animations that are every time picked randomly as an intro sequence spin-offs. If you started game just a couple of times, there's a big chance you won't even notice that, as all three animations presents cars running the nature or polygons, with the same engine roar, but with the different music in the background.
Japanese Saturn versionThe game's Japanese Sega Saturn version, Over Drivin' GT-R, is notable for only having Nissan vehicles (hence the Nissan Presents and the GT-R on the game's title) and apparently having different vehicle physics from every other version of the game.
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #28 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/1996 - Best Racing Game in 1995
Information also contributed by プルスマン
Related Web Sites
- Wikipedia: The Need for Speed (Information about The Need for Speed at Wikipedia)