DescriptionThe Princess has been kidnapped by the evil Bowser, and it is up to Mario and brother Luigi to save the day.
The first ever platform adventure for the Mario Brothers has the player exploring level after level, with Bowser to contend with as the end of level boss. Power-ups include the Super Mushroom, which increases Mario's size and power, the fire flower, allowing him to shoot fireballs at enemies, and the ever important starman for a short burst of invincibility.
Each level includes a bonus section filled with coins plus a shortcut through the level, plenty of bad buys and obstacles to get past, and an end of level flag, in which the higher the player grabs it, the more points are awarded to them. Certain levels also include warp points, which takes the player to higher levels.
There are no Nintendo 3DS user screenshots for this game.
There are 52 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "Super Mario Brothers" -- Informal title
- "Super Irmãos" -- Brazilian Gradiente title
- "SMB" -- Abbreviated title
- "Mario 1" -- Informal title
- "スーパーマリオブラザーズ" -- Japanese spelling
- "슈퍼 마리오브라더스" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Classic NES / Famicom Mini / NES Classics releases
- Game Center CX challenge games
- Games made into books
- Games made into comics
- Games made into movies
- Games made into stage productions
- Games made into TV series
- Mario games
- Nintendo's Action series
- Super Mario series
- Video games turned into board / card games
There are no reviews for the Nintendo 3DS release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|FNintendo||Mar 04, 2012||10 out of 10||100|
|WiiDSFrance||Sep 09, 2011||7 out of 10||70|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|It seemed like a weird idea for Star Wars also...||4||Steely Gaze (209)
Jan 31, 2008
1001 Video GamesThe NES version of Super Mario Bros. appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
CerealSuper Mario Bros. was popular enough to have a breakfast cereal based on the game called the "Nintendo Cereal System", and was co-packaged with Legend of Zelda cereal. The sweetened corn bits were in the shape of Mario, Koopa Troopa, Goomba, Bowser, and a Super Mushroom.
NES supplementFor a time, Super Mario Brothers was the game packaged with a new NES system, along with the Zapper Light Gun and the game Duck Hunt.
ParodyJoe Dixon released a spoof version of Super Mario Bros. in late 2002. It replaces Mario, Toadstool, and the enemies with characters from South Park.
SalesAccording to the Guiness Book Of Records, as of 2003 Super Mario Bros. is the best-selling video game of all time, with a total of 40.23 million units sold worldwide, as of 1999. The whole Mario Bros. series has 26 games and sold over 152 million copies since 1983, according to Guiness.
It is widely believed that the billionth game unit sold by Nintendo was Super Mario Bros..
TV seriesSuper Mario Bros. was popular enough to have a TV cartoon based on it in the late 1980's-early 1990's. It starred "Captain" Lou Albano as Mario, and Danny Wells as Luigi in the live-action segments, and animated Mario cartoons Monday-Thursday (Friday was for cartoons based on Legend of Zelda).
- February 2006 - #1 out of 200 Games of their Time
- Issue #4 - #66 in the "Top 100 Video Games of All-Time" list
- Game Informer
- August 2001 (Issue 100) - #2 in the "Top 100 Video Games of All-Time list"
- October 2005 (Issue 138) - one of the "Top 25 Most Influential Games of All Time"
- #1 Game of All Time (or revolutionary graphics and gameplay at the time of its release)
- Official Nintendo Magazine
- Greatest Nintendo Game
- Power Play
- 1987 - Best NES Game '87
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #24 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 37 - #23 in the "Top 25 Platformers of All Time" poll
Related Web Sites
- Beat Super Mario Bros in 5 minutes!!! (YouTube video on completing the whole game in 5 minutes on the NES.)
- Classic NES Series for the Game Boy Advance (Covers the line-up of the new Game Boy Advance series of NES Classics.)
- Mario Mania (Nintendoland's shrine to Mario including his history and many interesting facts and files)
- Mario's World (Has info on most of Mario's games.)
- OC ReMix Game Profile (Fan remixes of music from Super Mario Bros.)
- Super Mario Bros. (A great article about the history of this classic. Includes information on how to get through World 1.)
- The Mushroom Kingdom (Everything you'd ever want to know about all of the Super Mario Brothers Games)
- Video review of NES accessories (WARNING: Laguage) (The Angry Video Game Nerd, James Rolfe, reviews some NES accessories and some associated games, including the U-Force and Super Mario Bros. on NES.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.