missing cover art
1001 Video GamesFlashback appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Release variationsA bargain bin CD-ROM version of the game was released with new cinematic sequences. This version of the game came only in a jewel case (no box).
TechnologyOne of the materials in the box of Flashback is a coupon for a rebate on a Gravis Gamepad and a note to "try Gravis' Ultrasound 16-bit sound card." This is ironic because, amongst Gravis Ultrasound enthusiasts, Flashback is notorious for being incompatible with the GUS.
Programmers might be interested in the fact that Flashback is one of very few games that used a screen mode with a width of 256 pixels. This implies that the address of a pixel on the screen could be comfortably stored in a 16-bit register, say AX. The X-coordinate could then be manipulated through AL, and the Y-coordinate through AH. This might have contributed somewhat to Flashback's impressively fluent animations.
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 02/1994 – Best Genre Mix in 1993 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue #4 - #10 in the "Top 100 Video Games of All-Time" list
- 1993 (Vol. 6, Issue 2) - Action/Adventure Game of the Year (Genesis version)
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #65 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- Issue #37 - #15 in the "Top 25 Platformers of All Time" poll