missing cover art
DescriptionAliens have infested Earth, and are spreading a deadly virus throughout the planet. Needless to say, they must be stopped, and fast. The time pressure (your score upon completing a level is based on the uninfected percentage of the land) is only one difficult aspect of this shooter.
Viewed in remote 3D with a patchwork-quilt type ground effect, with trees sticking out and full gravity. Controlling your spaceship involves balancing the direction and height as well as thrusting to the right speed. A scanner tells you where the aliens are.
There are no Acorn 32-bit screenshots for this game.
There are 15 other screenshots on file for other versions of this game.
- "Virus" -- Amiga / Atari ST / DOS / ZX Spectrum title
- "Lander" -- Acorn 32-bit demo title
- "Bird of Prey" -- Working title
There are no reviews for this game.
The Press Says
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||Oct, 1988||980 out of 1000||98|
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||Dec, 1987||979 out of 1000||98|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Jan, 1988||9 out of 10||90|
|Happy Computer||Mar, 1988||86 out of 100||86|
|The Games Machine (UK)||Dec, 1987||81 out of 100||81|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Acorn Archimedes versionA demo of the game, still called Lander at the time, was bundled with new Acorn Archimedes computers.
Commodore 64 versionDespite frequent rumours, no C64 version was officially planned.
ZX Spectrum versionThe Spectrum version started as a bedroom project, as Firebird did not believe the game was viable on 8-bit systems. It was not until Steve Dunn had written a demo of the ship flying over the landscape that anything official was signed.
- October 1988 (issue #13) - Included in the Top-100 list of 1987/1988 (editorial staff selection)
- March 1991 (issue #42) - Included in the list Greatest Games of all Time in category Shoot-'em-ups (editorial staff choice)
- Amiga Power
- May 1991 (Issue #00) - #5 in the "All Time Top 100 Amiga Games"
- Computer Industry's InDin Awards
- 1988 - 16 bit Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Virus - Memories (article about the development of the ZX Spectrum version, on The Bird Sanctuary)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.