🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Adventure Island II > The title

GTramp (81965) on 4/26/2011 11:51 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, the NES game is titled 'Adventure Island II' in the US, right? Gameboy version was released at least one year later and it's basically a port with a subtitle 'Aliens in Paradise' added. So the question is: why the title of the port is superior to the title of the original game here at Moby?

<hr />

Oh boy, now I get it. There are NO aliens in the 2nd Adventure Island game. AT ALL. It was the 1st game to be released on Gameboy, so it was title simply titled 'Adventure Island'.

The 3rd game on NES was the 2nd game on GB, and this was about aliens! So GB covers and title are messed up...

Anybody still remembers NES & GB? Take a look at these games, do you agree?

<hr />

US cover of Gameboy version belongs to 'Adventure Island III' game.

Adzuken (836) on 4/28/2011 1:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, it certainly is a mess. Adventure Island 3 was most certainly the one with the aliens, and number 2 I believe was the witch doctor again. I'd be interested to know whether or not the Gameboy versions are straight ports or not. Even if they are ports, they should be placed with the game they're ported from, and not just their numerical equal.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 4/28/2011 2:05 AM · Permalink · Report

The Japanese versions actually have the proper numbers for what games they're based on: there's a Bokenjima 2 and a Bokenjima 3, which got the Final Fantasy treatment and changed to Adventure Island 1 (2) and Adventure Island 2 (3). The "Aliens in Paradise" title should be at best an AKA, and on Adventure Island 3 at that.

Anyone up for filing the corrections here?

GTramp (81965) on 4/28/2011 9:46 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I contributed corrections yesterday, pending.

GTramp (81965) on 4/28/2011 9:55 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]and number 2 I believe was the witch doctor again. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--] No, it's all about dinosaurs. And the final boss is some kind of insect.

Adzuken (836) on 4/30/2011 2:05 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start GigabyteTramp wrote--]No, it's all about dinosaurs. And the final boss is some kind of insect. [/Q --end GigabyteTramp wrote--] Oh, huh. I was going by the manual which states that it was the "Evil Witch Doctor" that kidnapped "Princess Leilani's" sister "Tina." Not that 8-bit era instruction manuals are always accurate.

I never finished an Adventure Island game. They're way too long and repetitive. In two and three, I usually give up the first time I die and lose all of my carefully stock-piled dinosaurs. I still have a soft spot for them, though.

GTramp (81965) on 4/30/2011 8:44 AM · Permalink · Report

You don't lose your stock-piled dinosaurs in the 3rd game, so maybe it's worth another try ;)