DescriptionIn Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, the player takes control of one of thirteen civilizations, including the Chinese, Goths, Britons, and Vikings, among others. The player starts with a handful of villagers, through expansion and careful handling of the economy, the player can advance up to the point where powerful war machines and well trained masses of troops will be the player's to make and control.
There are three distinct ways to play, one of which the object is to hunt and kill the other player(s) king, however there are a lot of options for each, anywhere from what type of map to start on (including coastal, gold rush, arabia, and rivers) to what the maximum amount of units are allowed.
The player can also play online at the Zone vs. up to seven other players, or via a TCP/IP connection.
- "帝国时代II：帝王时代" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "世紀帝國 II：帝王世紀" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "AOK" -- Informal title
- "AoE2" -- Common abbreviation
Part of the Following Groups
- Age of Empires series
- Gameplay Feature: Fog of War
- Gameplay feature: Recordable replays
- Games with randomly generated environments
- Historical Conflict: Hundred Years War
- Setting: Medieval Europe
- Setting: Middle East
|SHEER GENIUS! This is my favorite game ever!||Windows||Maw (846)|
|A must-have for every RTS fan.||Windows||Sir Gofermajster (481)|
|The best RTS since StarCraft.||Windows||Anatole (52)|
|Definitely the best RTS to date. Nothing can match it.||Windows||ShadowShrike (303)|
|One of the best RTS games of all time||Windows||Roberto Teichmann (377)|
|The best RTS ever made!||Windows||Charles Auger (3)|
|Fun....in the beginning||Windows||Boris Stovich (29)|
|The best medieval themed RTS of all time||Windows||Thiago Oliveira (90)|
|Something of a bore||Windows||paul cairey (321)|
|GamePro (US)||Windows||Nov 24, 2000||5 out of 5||100|
|CNET||Windows||Feb 26, 2009||100|
|Gamers' Temple, The||Windows||1999||94 out of 100||94|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Windows||Nov 09, 1999||9 out of 10||90|
|Spel för Alla||Windows||Dec, 1999||9 out of 10||90|
|GamePlasma||PlayStation 2||Mar 19, 2004||8.8 out of 10||88|
|PC Joker||Windows||Oct, 1999||88 out of 100||88|
|Imperium Gier||Windows||Oct 10, 2001||8 out of 10||80|
|Jeuxvideo.com||PlayStation 2||Oct 30, 2001||14 out of 20||70|
|Gamekult||PlayStation 2||Oct 04, 2001||5 out of 10||50|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe PC version of Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Cut ContentAge of Kings, during its development, was subject to many changes. Some things that were cut out of the final game are...
- A fifth resource: ore. Was removed because it made the game too complex.
- Outlaw units. These were intended to function like wolves, guys that belong to no player and attack you if you get near. Were removed because they were too annoying.
- Sea walls. These were supposed to be built by ships and could withstand a good amount of damage. I'm not sure why they weren't included.
- Dolphins: you were supposed to be able to fish these like any other sort of fish. Microsoft forced Ensemble to remove them!
Dry Dock TechnologyDry dock technology decreases the amount of gold a trade cog brings back home. The reduction can be at least 33% in some cases.
It seems to be balanced with the ship speed increase so that the productivity of trade cogs remains about the same as before dry dock research. In some cases I had slightly better gold income (gold/second) before the research of dry docks than after. I did not make a thorough testing with many different distances, but what I did was test it in a deathmatch game too, to be sure it does happen in real games.
Source - From a post by SimMayor [email protected] on the AoE2.com forum
EULAThe EULA of this game includes a clause which prohibits the use of Age of Empires II in a nuclear plant.
MultiplayerThe MSN Gaming Zone is notoriously easy to hack, and cheaters are rife in Age of Kings games. A programmer named Tormentium released an unofficial patch for AoK (1.0E), which is supposed to make the game harder to hack. Too bad it doesn't work.
ReferencesThis occurs during the Saladin Single Player campaign, during the mission in which you secure Jerusalem. If you strike down the Knights Templar leader (a hero unit), he declares, "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!" This is obviously a reference to Obi-Wan Kenobi dueling Darth Vader in Star Wars: A New Hope.
SalesBetween 1999 and 2000, Age of Empires II (PC) won a single Gold- and three Platinum-Awards from the German VUD (Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland - Entertainment Software Association Germany) for selling more then 100,000 units (Gold) and more then three times 200,000 units (Platinum) in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. As the Gold-Award is not counted into the Platinum-Award, all four awards total in between 700,000 and 1,700,000 units sold.
- Computer Gaming World
- March 2000 (Issue #188) – Best Weapon of the Year (for the Trebuchet)
- March 2000 (Issue #188) – Best Interface Design of the Year
- 2001 – #16 Top Game of All Time
- GameStar (Germany)
- 1999 - Best Game (Editors' Vote)
- 1999 - Best Game (Readers' Vote)
- PC Gamer
- 1999 - Real-Time Strategy Game of the Year
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/2000 - Best Real-Time Strategy Game in 1999
- Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland (Entertainment Software Association Germany)
- 1999/2000 - Gold Award for selling more then 100,000 units in Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 1999/2000 - Three Platinum Awards for selling more then 200,000 units in Germany, Austria and Switzerland (Every award is counted individually
Related Web Sites
- Age of Empires II: Age of Kings (Game page on publisher's website (English))
- Age of Kings A t r i u m Your only source for Age of Kings (A fan site with all the game info. Info on all the different tribes. Great forum & a page with a lot of links to other fan sites .a must site of visited.)
- Age of Kings Heaven - (A fan site with all the game info. Info on all the different tribes. a must site of visited.)
- AoK Battlefield (The webmasters show a lot of dedication of their site, they even took a visit to the ES office. Updated regularly and has contests for war stories and other things. Nice looking ubb forums in which to post. )
- Berserker Clan (A group of keen AoK gamers that compete regularly online. The site has a large number of recorded games, and active forum, and some other game-related downloads.)
- IGCD Internet Game Cars Database (Game page on IGCD, a database that tries to archive vehicles found in video games.)
- King Arthur's Castle - Camelot (Updated regularly and a nice stylish design. The team of webmasters seem to be very dedicated and it has shown so far.)
- MrFixitOnline.com (Probably the best site to improve your game skills. Many tactics, a strategy forum, recorded games and much more.)
- Planet Age Of Empires (A very good website with tons of info and files, including recorded games, maps, scenarios, and AI editing tools. Also has a large forum.)
- Wikipedia - Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (article about the game in the open encyclopedia)