The Island of Lost Hope is a text-adventure with a pirate theme. The parser has standard Infocom
-like abilities: it understands pronouns, chain commands,etc.
You play a character whose ship was attacked by a pirate called Captain Black. Stranded on a small island, one day you have the chance to infiltrate the captain's vessel and exact your revenge.
The screen is divided in 5 parts:
- a top-left porthole where the graphics and the odd animation are displayed;
- a compass in the center in the form of a skull that can be clicked with the sword-shaped cursor for movement (its use is optional, the player can also type the cardinal points and the up and down directions directly on the parser screen);
- a top-right map that shows your current position and the explored surrounding area;
- the screen bottom, the larger part of it being reserved for the parser and its messages;
- the smaller right-bottom inventory that lists your possessions.
No music, but there is some sound, mostly soothing splash noises from the sea.