King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (Amiga)

3.2
Written by  :  mailmanppa (1557)
Written on  :  Dec 29, 2012
Platform  :  Amiga
Rating  :  3.17 Stars3.17 Stars3.17 Stars3.17 Stars3.17 Stars

read more reviews by mailmanppa

Summary

Rough diamond

The Good

What I like? I like the size of this game - it is much bigger than previous installments thus giving the player much more puzzles too solve. It is also good that the game engine was changed. It serves good for the performance. The game is no longer slow as it might be encountered in case of the previous parts. The gameplay is also non-linear - you may finish it in a few ways watching different endings depending on your achievements.

The Bad

What I don't like? Well, the graphics are as always badly converted in Sierra games. This time instead of dithering mistakes there are colour palette locks making some screen looks not quite nice. The ugliest screen in Amiga's history adventure games is inventory. I guess 8 colours is all we have here and the items are so badly drawn that Revolution should be ashamed of it. Problematic are also cuts made in this version of the game - Amiga version lacks of some puzzles, some screens and some items.

The Bottom Line

Overall "King's Quest VI" is a good adventure game but if they had put attention to small details and avoided obvious bugs and they had got rid of them before the release it could have been a diamond among Amiga adventure games. Right now it is a rough diamond - needs to be polished, it has its value but it is far less than others staying in a competition.