Amiga Power controversyAmiga Power magazine declared this to be the greatest Amiga game of all time in 1991, and controversially repeated this in their list compiled in early 1992, suggesting that titles like Formula 1 Grand Prix, Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker and Populous 2 were too specialised in their appeal, whereas Rainbow Islands was an across-the-board title. Ironically, Formula 1 Grand Prix was at #1 in the charts that month, and Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker had spent over 6 months in the top 5. The magazine claimed to be surprised when Rainbow Islands reached #7 in the readers' Top 100 later that year (two of the games above it, Sensible Soccer and Monkey Island 2 were released in between the two lists).
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 01/1991 – Best Dexterity Game in 1990
- Amiga Power
- 1991 - Greatest Amiga Game of All Time
- 1992 - Greatest Amiga Game of All Time
- 1992 - #7 Greatest Amiga Game of All Time (Readers' vote)
- Power Play
- Issue 01/1991 - Best Dexterity Game in 1990 (Amiga, Atari ST and C64 versions)
- Issue 01/1991 - Best Arcade Port in 1990
- Retro Gamer
- Issue 37 - #10 in the "Top 25 Platformers of All Time" poll
Contributed by Martin Smith (63241) on Feb 13, 2006. [revised by : MobyGames was killed by GameFly (89485)].