Space Racer (Amiga)

Space Racer Amiga Title screen

MISSING COVER

3.2
Written by  :  *Katakis* (37801)
Written on  :  Nov 19, 2012
Platform  :  Amiga
read more reviews by *Katakis*

Summary

A racing game with fabulous backdrops and a few nice touches

The Good

I wouldn't sit down and play this game if it weren't for the backdrops on each of the three levels. You race overlooking the mountains in level one, a city in the second level, and some skulls in the third. Each of the backgrounds are well designed, and they move your hoverbike along the one track.

I also like the game mechanics. You can shoot at other riders, a technique unknown in other racers of its time. You can also watch them crash into an obstacle and explode. When you do the same thing, your rider cursing whatever hit him is a nice touch.

The HUD is laid out nicely, with the type of game and the score on the left. I don't know what is on the right, but it looks like a pair of glasses with directions serving as eyes.

Both the music on the title screen and the sound effects are good.

The Bad

The controls a bit difficult to get used to. Pressing up on the joystick only ascends the bike, not accelerate it. You have to get near the surface for that to happen.

The Bottom Line

I believe this is the shortest review that I've written. This is because Space Racer is just a simple race game, but you can attack your fellow riders, a excellent game mechanic that is later seen in games such as Death Rally. The backdrops are well drawn, and both the music and sound effects are nice. I like the sampled speech at the beginning of each race. If you are looking for space-based video games, then you should enjoy this game.