🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > NetHack > Why does this exist?

Tracy Poff (2094) on 3/1/2014 11:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I was looking through my old forum posts, and I realized that I asked six years ago why this is a separate entry, but got no reply. Time to try again! Is this actually a different game from Nethack?

Rola (8483) on 3/2/2014 12:15 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm also voting to merge this into Nethack entry.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 3/2/2014 3:24 AM · Permalink · Report

Thirded. There are big differences between different far-apart versions, but not enough to, I think, warrant new entries.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 6/17/2014 5:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I guess that three people and three months might count as a consensus. Is there any way to move the review over to our Nethack entry? That's the only thing this entry has that needs saving. Except for that, this can just be deleted.

Edit: Oh, and that trivia item about Izchak could be moved over, too.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 6/18/2014 2:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Four people! 91 days! Arrrr, a kingdom for Approver + powers! :-)

Terok Nor (42005) on 6/18/2014 7:10 AM · Permalink · Report

I would like to hear some concrete arguments first, not just people saying "yes, merge". What are the differences between the versions? What prompted the increase in major version numbering?

Tracy Poff (2094) on 6/18/2014 11:33 AM · Permalink · Report

The reason for the major version number update, probably, is that it went from just Mike Stephenson being responsible for releases to Mike Stephenson + others, which people call the DevTeam. If you want the details, you can look here. It looks to me like the biggest gameplay difference is the introduction of alignment and gods, which is a fairly big update, but not, in my opinion, a big enough difference for us to consider it a different game. The difference from 3.0 to 3.1 might even have been bigger than that from 2.3 to 3.0.

Argument for them being the same game: the same developer, Mike Stephenson, continues to be responsible for the game (albeit with some help); the changes in that version are not substantially bigger than the usual differences between minor (e.g. 3.0 to 3.1) revisions; 3.0 was surely considered by both the developers and the players to be simply the evolution of NetHack, and not a separate, new game.

Argument for them being separate games: there was a major version number change; some additional developers were added to the project; a couple of new mechanics were added (which has also happened in many minor version upgrades).

Fred VT (25953) on 6/18/2014 12:21 PM · Permalink · Report

So this is merely a version update? There is no reason whatsoever to have split entries if this is the case.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 6/18/2014 12:55 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Fred VT wrote--]So this is merely a version update? There is no reason whatsoever to have split entries if this is the case. [/Q --end Fred VT wrote--] Pretty much, yes. There's a 'significant changes' section in the link I gave. If you compare it to the 'significant changes' sections for 3.1 or 3.2, for example, I think you'll agree that it's not a qualitatively different update than that from 2.4 to 3.0. Just a step in the continuing evolution of the game.

vedder (70793) on 6/18/2014 12:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Reason for merging: We don't have 2 entries for Star Wars Galaxies either, even though with one patch they changed how half the game worked.

Cavalary (11445) on 6/18/2014 1:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Could compare to UnReal World? No multiple entries for that either...

Indra was here (20755) on 6/21/2014 1:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Terok Nor wrote--]I would like to hear some concrete arguments first, not just people saying "yes, merge". What are the differences between the versions? What prompted the increase in major version numbering? [/Q --end Terok Nor wrote--] [1] Firstly, it's a rogue variant many games of which notoriously have a streak of updating its games, many of which resulting in little resemblance to the original game.

[2] Never really understood the reasoning for splitting games, since in today's world, minor updates is the equivalent to major updates 20 years ago. Graphical difference? Check. Gameplay difference? Check. Especially if said game is online, downloadable, or freeware.

Example. See ADOM Dos vs. Windows screenshots.

[3] There is nothing remotely distinctive about this entry, that warrants itself to be split. Release info is vague, hence you can't argue it's done by a different developer. Credits are non-existent, hence same reason. No screenshots, so we wouldn't know if there is a difference anyway.

The release info on the original Nethack argues said game would be better off being deleted, as there's barely enough info to warrant a merge. Well, with the exception of one trivia entry and one review.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 6/21/2014 2:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Example. See ADOM Dos vs. Windows screenshots.

I don't know -- ASCII mode in the Windows version looks much like the DOS version. The other shots just indicate alternate options of looking at approaching the same gameplay.

Indra was here (20755) on 6/21/2014 2:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]ASCII mode in the Windows version looks much like the DOS version. The other shots just indicate alternate options of looking at approaching the same gameplay. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]If it were a non-rogue, non-freeware game, made at least 10 years ago, it would warrant a split, if I observed the trend correctly. Don't really understand the split policy, so no objections from me anyways.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 6/21/2014 6:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah yeah, and the same text games are split when one of them has crappy Apple 2 still graphics. I can't agree, but I will acknowledge.