DescriptionAperture Science is a secret weapons research organization in competition with Black Mesa. Chell is a test subject at the "Enrichment Center" facility who awakens to find an A.I. construct called GlaDOS requiring some tasks to be completed. They are testing the Aperture Handheld Portal Device (aka Portal Gun) which is able to create portals in space, allowing Chell to move from one point to another without actually crossing the distance. Chell is promised cake should she be able to overcome the obstacles and perform the necessary tests.
She has to use her new gun to fling, jump and fall her way through 19 puzzles. These include obstacles but also androids that fire at her. Although the game is played as a first-person shooter, a large amount of strategy and puzzle-solving is involved. After completing the game, two additional game modes become available: Challenge where the game needs to be completed in either as little time, as few footsteps or as few portals as possible. The other mode is Advanced, where levels are made harder through additional obstacles.
Portal is set in the Half-Life universe and it is considered the spiritual successor to Narbacular Drop, some of whose original developers worked on this game. The Windows game can be bought stand-alone, while the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions are only available in The Orange Box.
There are no Android screenshots for this game.
There are 51 other screenshots on file for other versions of this game.
- "ポータル" -- Japanese spelling
- "포털" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: Source
- Games with in-game developer commentary
- Half-Life universe
- Portal series
- Protagonist: Female
There are no reviews for the Android release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
There are no critic reviews for this game.
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Free until May 25th, 2010! (on Steam)||14||Adzuken (818)
May 23, 2010
|Valve re-writes the ending.||2||Adzuken (818)
Mar 05, 2010
|Steam can't so I can't play||3||Foxhack (12652)
Nov 20, 2009
|Incorrectly grouped||5||Sciere (319577)
Feb 17, 2009
|The Device Has Been Modified||2||DJP Mom (11111)
Jan 17, 2009
|Portal and Steam||14||hydra9 (3831)
Apr 29, 2008
|Some glitch videos... if you want to look at 'em.||3||Pseudo_Intellectual (45140)
Apr 15, 2008
|2D Flash version of Portal||1||Pseudo_Intellectual (45140)
Jan 28, 2008
|Still Alive||15||St. Martyne (3539)
Nov 07, 2007
|Portal != Portal||4||Pseudo_Intellectual (45140)
Oct 25, 2007
1001 Video GamesPortal appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
German versionIn some German versions, the colour of blood was changed to grey.
GLaDOSAccording to a boardroom projection in the game, GLaDOS stands for Generic Lifeform and Disk Operating System.
- Eurogamer (UK)
- December 28, 2009 - Game of the Year 2007
- Games for Windows Magazine
- March 2008 - #1 Game of the Year 2007 (PC Game Awards)
- 2007 – Best Puzzle Game of the Year
- 2007 – Best Character of the Year (for GlaDOS)
- 2007 – Best Sidekick of the Year (for The Weighted Companion Cube)
- 2011 – #8 Top PC Game of the 2000s
- GameStar (Germany)
- March 28, 2008 - Most Innovative Game Mechanics in 2007
Related Web Sites
- ApertureScience (website of the fictional Aperture Science company with an alternate reality game)
- A Piece of Cake (An Apple Games article about the Macintosh version of Portal (May, 2010).)
- Design Language: The Portal Paradoxes (Noah Falstein presents a comprehensive design critique of Portal - from intro to 'Still Alive'.)
- MacGamer Review (A review of the Mac version of Portal by the news and review site, MacGamer (May 18th, 2010).)
- Portal flash pack (A pack of custom maps for the game, based on the unofficial 2D flash version.)
- Portal Is for lesbians (A look at the female cast and the influence on the theme, on Heroine Sheik (17th October 2007))
- Wikipedia: Portal (Article in the open encyclopedia)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.