Forums > Game Forums > Portal > Still Alive

Sciere (927124) on 10/23/2007 11:23 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

If you haven't noticed already, Portal is gearing up to be 2007's surprise game of the year, capturing hearts all over the world. Even if you don't intend to play the game (boo!), you owe it to yourself to listen to the end song Still Alive by Jonathan Coulton. It is a sublime ending to a perfect game.

This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/23/2007 12:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]Still Alive by Jonathan Coulton.

This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
[/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

Wow, just wow.

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/23/2007 10:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]If you haven't noticed already, Portal is gearing up to be 2007's surprise game of the year, capturing hearts all over the world. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--] Really? Is it that good? I always thought it would be one of those plot-less tech demos; maybe something entertaining to goof around, but nothing to write mom about anyway. Are you telling me there is more than that?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66274) on 10/23/2007 10:39 PM · Permalink · Report

I figure from the looks of things it's a tech demo with an abundance of charming personality.

Sciere (927124) on 10/24/2007 6:36 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Really, Valve should have called it The Orange Box: Portal 'n stuff

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/25/2007 3:00 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]Really, Valve should have called it The Orange Box: Portal 'n stuff [/Q --end Sciere wrote--] I can't help but notice you still haven't said a thing about the game itself...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66274) on 10/25/2007 5:29 AM · Permalink · Report

I can't help but notice you still haven't said a thing about the game itself...

Narbacular Drop 2: Narb Harder

Sciere (927124) on 10/25/2007 10:15 AM · Permalink · Report

I can't explain love to you, it's something you feel.

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/26/2007 11:01 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]I can't explain love to you, it's something you feel. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--] Dear god, get a room! :P

St. Martyne (3648) on 10/29/2007 9:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just finished it. Pretty damn sweet. However I didn't like the commentary. It's very dry and technical which doesn't suit game's charming and light-hearted nature.

Oh. And the cake isn't a lie, actually. I know. :)

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/30/2007 2:10 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--]game's charming and light-hearted nature. [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--] I'm sure it's a great game and I'll probably love it if and when I ever get to play it, but you guys are making it sound more and more like a Mario game with those comments... :P

Black_Rose (33) on 11/4/2007 7:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]I can't explain love to you, it's something you feel. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]Love? Is it all right to love playing on a video game?

Slug Camargo (583) on 11/2/2007 2:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Here's what you could've said: "Portal's been written by Erik Wolpaw, the Old Man Murray guy." Now that is a sentence that spells "must-have".

Needless to say, I'm playing it right now :D

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 11/6/2007 11:24 PM · Permalink · Report

There's a lot more to Portal than meets the eye. The first half of the game is the puzzle part, with the levels and stuff. Well....let's just say that the game doesn't get started until after the last "level"....

Those points of data truly do make a beautiful line.

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/7/2007 11:01 AM · Permalink · Report

A nice map for Portal was created by Bethesda level designer Daryl Brigner (at least according to Eurogamer, at Moby he is credited with Call Of Duty games, go figure). It's very fun and challenging. Took me 30 minutes to complete it, despite the relatively small size of the map.