Computer Ambush (Apple II)

4.3
Written by  :  BJ Strawser (3)
Written on  :  Oct 24, 2005
Platform  :  Apple II
read more reviews by BJ Strawser

Summary

Great game... anybody know where to get a version for the PC?

The Good

This game rocks. It is fascinating to get inside all the miniscule calculations you must make moment by sequential moment to figure out how best maneuver your squad and use all of their individual abilities to best the other squad. The historical setting makes it even more interesting. But, probably the best thing about this game is the fact that my dad wrote it, to be honest. Some other guy is listed on the box as the author of it -- but trust me, my dad, Larry D. Strawser, did a least a lot (if not most) of the programming work that went into it. I remember it well as I was a little kid. Then we played it on our old Apple II e. It was great fun.

The Bad

I love everything about it.

The Bottom Line

Its an OLD-SCHOOL and VERY, VERY SLOW turn-based game. It's very slow period, but for the time it came out, you have to remember, it was one of the first of its kind. It was an amazing software for its time in that it was able to take into account so many factors (like the line-of-sight of all the different characters at a time).

If anyone knows where to get a re-done or updated version to play on a PC, please let me know.