Karateka (Apple II)

4.2
Written by  :  Frecklefoot (191)
Written on  :  Feb 05, 2007
Platform  :  Apple II
Rating  :  4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars

read more reviews by Frecklefoot

Summary

Unforgettable game with pioneering graphics

The Good

This is the first game I can remember playing that actually had lifelike animation. Jordan Mechner gave us a glimpse of what computer animation could be like in this groundbreaking game.

The game places the player in the role of a hero on a quest to save his beloved. Though somewhat cliché, this game successfully made the player feel part of the story as he maneuvered his way deep into the enemy's mountain fortress.

The controls were easy to use and effectively made us of the Apple joystick's two buttons and 8 directions of movement.

Though the Apple II's sound capabilities were unquestionably weak, this game effectively used them to generate surprisingly decent sound effects and music. And finally, the game's conclusion was heroic and satisfying.

The Bad

The only failing of this game was the hardware it was developed for. The Apple II had bizarre colors and weak sound facilities. But this game utilized them to the fullest.

The Bottom Line

A great action/adventure game showcasing pioneering animation techniques and technology.