Lode Runner (Apple II)

Lode Runner Apple II Title Screen

MISSING COVER

4.2
Written by  :  Frecklefoot (191)
Written on  :  Apr 17, 2007
Platform  :  Apple II

read more reviews by Frecklefoot

Summary

Landmark game in video game history!

The Good

This is the first game I can remember playing that successfully combined action and puzzle solving into a compelling experience. Some levels took seconds to solve, later ones minutes. Some I never solved more than once.

But most importantly, this game allowed users--kids like me--to create their own levels. Never before was such a facility included with a computer game before. It included the first true level editor, so players could create and play their own experiences. With the exception of Pinball Construction Set, I can remember no early home computer era game that allowed such a feature.

But even without the level editor, the game provided an addictive challenge despite the limitations of the early home computers.

The Bad

Some of the levels I thought were just too darn hard, especially so early on. The Apple II controls were a bit tricky to get the hang of, but they really couldn't have been implemented better. The Apple II joysticks just weren't great.

The Bottom Line

An addictive rush of treasure grabbing! Puzzle solving and action combined in an early game with lots of polish.