DescriptionSpace I is a futuristic role-playing game unofficially based upon Game Designer Workshop’s "Traveller" pen and paper game. Players build their character by enlisting in one of the military services (Navy, Army, Scouts, Merchant Marines, or Other Services) and receive training in a number of skills that will help in later life.
After each round of four-year service, your character may leave the military to embark on one of six scenarios, including:
- Defend, in which as an administrator for a far-flung planet, you must defend it from an alien invasion;
- High Finance, in which can dabble in the galactic stock market;
- Explore, in which you mine planets for their riches;
- Trader; in which you earn money by transporting passengers and cargo on your spaceship;
- and First Blood; in which you pit your dexterity, cunning and weapons against an adversary in a death match to collect all his possessions.
There are no promo images for this game
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
There are no critic reviews for this game.
There are currently no topics for this game.
Development historySteven Pederson designed and programmed this game while still a student at UCLA, where he was majoring in Radio Broadcasting.
LawsuitGame Designers' Workshop successfully sued Edu-Ware Services for copyright infringement of their Traveler pen-and-paper role-playing-game. As a result, EduWare suspended publication of the game and its sequel, Space II, and replaced the two with the Empire space trilogy, based on an original role-playing game system.
Related Web Sites
- Baf's Guide to the Interactive Fiction Archive - Space I (Downloadable executable for Apple II emulators.)
- Traveller Programs for Apple II (AppleWin Disk Image)
- Virtual Apple Space I Emulator (Play the game over the Internet.)