On the main screen, the HUD consists of hearts (life), silver paws (pick-ups) and golden paws (pick-ups). Collecting silver paws makes new playable animals available, such as the Arctic fox (10 paws), adult bear (20 paws), orca (30 paws) and walrus (40 paws). The different challenges (mini-games) include:
- Ice slide: race down an ice track collecting silver paw prints.
- Scavenge: collect leftover meals from adult polar bears without waking them.
- Shuffle: slide to the center of a ring to score.
- Food fight: timed button-mashing for food
- Ice flow rodeo: steer a piece of broken ice through currents.
- Catch-a-seal: pounce patiently on seals when they appear.
- Orca race: underwater race through tunnels and caverns.
- Ice sheet: find a safe way across frozen water without breaking the ice.
- Clam scavenge: catch clams in underwater caverns before time runs out.
- Walrus chase: underwater chase for a walrus
- Walrus hunt: underwater exploration to catch walruses.
- Making sweet music: have the walrus dance by performing gestures in a timely fashion.