Halloween (Atari 2600)

3.4
Written by  :  MasterMegid (897)
Written on  :  Jul 22, 2006
Rating  :  3.33 Stars3.33 Stars3.33 Stars3.33 Stars3.33 Stars

read more reviews by MasterMegid

Summary

The Night He Came Home...

The Good

Halloween, is of course based on the indie horror film of the same name. As one of the most successful independent films of all time, and one of the few “slasher” flicks that is actually scary, it only seems natural to make a game based in it. Unfortunately it is an Atari 2600 game.

The goal of Halloween is to save the children from Michael Myers, and not get killed doing so. Pretty simple concept, from a bygone era of simple, and sometimes fun games. Yes old games can be fun too. And I must admit that when I occasionally play this game some twenty years later it is still fun, to a point.

The Graphics are about as good as one would expect from the Atari 2600. Very poor by today’s standards. Atari graphics are poor even compared to Tandy computers, and the NES.

An Atari version of the music, believe it or not, does not sound as bad as one might think. It is however very repetitive.

The Bad

Well it is an Atari game. So don’t expect to much. It is however, the best licensed game on the system, as most, I.e. ET, are beyond poor.

The Bottom Line

It would be interesting to see a Halloween game done nowadays. Horror games in which one killer stalks you is rare, aside from the Clock Tower series. But most of those games were never released outside of Japan.