H.E.R.O. (Atari 2600)

Written by  :  x0n1c64 (14)
Written on  :  May 23, 2009
Platform  :  Atari 2600

read more reviews by x0n1c64

Summary

Another Activision classic

The Good

H.E.R.O. is one of the most remarkable games on the Atari 2600. You are basically an anonymous hero with a propeller-driven backpack that allows you to fly through mines where you have to save the workers trapped down there. On the way you have to avoid dangers like snakes, bats, spiders and even light switches. But you have the ability to shoot laser out of your helmet and you're equipped with TNT explosives to clear blocking walls. Just remember not to get too close to the dynamite. The graphics in this game are impressive to say the least. Everything is detailed nicely and the game has a unique atmosphere and feeling to it. If you hit one of the aforementioned light switches, everything goes dark, only lit by you dynamite, giving the game a sense of dread as well. H.E.R.O. is a gorgeous game for the good old VCS.

The Bad

The only things I can complain about are the controls, which really take time to master. They aren't very responsive and often I find myself losing because of the slow controls. I guess they are supposed to be realistic, as it gives your propeller time to start up before you fly but overall, I wish the controls were more responsive. The game also has very sparse sound. There is no music, not even a theme song, and there are only a few sound effects, making it one of the most silent games I've played.

The Bottom Line

H.E.R.O. has some eye-watering graphics for its time and considering the system it was made for and a great concept. Though poor unresponsive controls makes it hard to master in the beginning, and the lack of sound and music makes it way too silent.