Warlords (Atari 2600)

Also For
3.4
Written by  :  *Katakis* (37493)
Written on  :  Dec 27, 2012
Platform  :  Atari 2600

read more reviews by *Katakis*

Summary

Protecting your warlord has never been so difficult

The Good

This is a game that I had the luxury of playing through Stella, an open-source Atari 2600 emulator. Judging by its name, I thought Warlords would be a role-playing game, but no. It is actually a game with a mixture of both Breakout and Quadrapong.

This is a four-player game, but you can choose to play with CPU opponents if you wish. In fact, choosing the lowest variation setting will let you play a single-player game with your opponents doing nothing. This is much easier for me since your opponents can have an advantage over you at times.

Each player has their own warlord in their corner of the screen, and a castle protects them. A ball appears at the center and bounces around the screen. The object of the game is to protect your warlord by stopping the ball from hitting a part of your castle and getting to the warlord. You are also trying to use the same technique to wreck your opponent's castle. If a ball hits a warlord, the player who was supposed to protect it is out of the game. There are five matches, and players win a match if only his/her warlord is still standing, and any player who wins five matches wins the games.

There are at least twenty-two variations and these change how the game is played. I discussed what happens when you use the lowest variation setting, but you can also control two paddles at once if you want to. No matter what variation you use, the ball gathers momentum, sometimes making it difficult to block the ball before it has a chance to do damage. Also, it is easy to sandwich the ball between your paddle and the castle.

The graphics are very basic, with the castle represented by a series of blocks. I do like the paddles because they look exactly the same as those in Breakout, rather than the shields from the arcade version. Another thing I liked is the white flash that happens when any of the castles take a hit. A nice “ping” sound is heard when the ball ricochets off a paddle. I also liked the sound when one of the warlords are killed off.

The Bad

There is nothing wrong with this game.

The Bottom Line

In conclusion, Warlords is an enjoyable game that can be played up to four players. It contains a a mixture of Breakout and Quadrapong, in that you must ricochet your ball off your paddle. The only difference is if you miss the ball, part of your castle will take a hit. There are nice variations to this game, including the ability to control two paddles at once. If you have played Breakout and got bored with it, then give Warlords a try today.