A wide range of shots - including aftertouch - are available, and fully accessible with a one-button joystick.
Famed UK journalist Stuart Campbell of Amiga Power magazine was renowned for his vicious hatred of this game - he found the controls really hard to grasp, with the ball whizzing around the pitch seemingly, to him, at random. This created a lot of friction among readers of this and other magazines, especially when he became an obsessive fan of Sensible Soccer
and ultimately began working for Sensible Software
. By the time Amiga Power magazine closed in 1996, Stuart was writing for them again, and his final review for them saw him give Kick Off 96
(which wasn't written by main Kick Off 2
author Dino Dini
) a score of 1% (the trivia entry for the game explains why - he wasn't merely being petty).
The in 2002 release remake Kick Off 2002
has almost exactly the same cover art as Kick Off 2
. The only difference: the '2' in the front cover art
is replaced with "02".
Information also contributed by
Indra was here and
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 01/1991 – Best Sports Game in 1990
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #54 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- ST Format
- Issue 01/1991 – #2 Best Simulator Game in 1990 (Atari ST)
- Issue 08/1991 – #5 Top Atari ST Classic Games (Editorial staff vote)
- Issue 01/1993 – #25 in '50 finest Atari ST games of all time' list