In Laser Squad
you control a group of "space marine"-like soldiers (and the occasional cyborg). Before taking them into battle (viewed from above and progressing in turns), you must buy them weapons and armour with a predetermined amount of credits, taking into account the individual abilities of your squad. Unlike X-COM, the soldiers do not gain experience over time.
The game also features a 2-player "hotseat" multiplayer option.
Initial ZX Spectrum release (and C64 & Amstrad CPC cassette tape releases) had 3 missions:
- 1: The Assassins - where you must face down Sterner Regnix and his guards
- 2: Moonbase Assault - which challenges you to destroy the OmniCorp database
- 3: Rescue from the Mines - eschew violence in favour of a rescue mission
Two more scenarios were available via mail order, later releases by Blade Software and subsequent ports already included them:
- 4: The Cyber Hordes - defend a rebel station and its seven stabilizer cores from an advancing imperial droid invasion
- 5: Paradise Valley - following the destruction of the stabilizer cores, escape from the colony with the device containing blueprints for advanced rebel starfighter
Two additional missions were released with mail order expansion kit
Part of the Following Group
There are no reviews for the Atari ST release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
The Press Says
There are no rankings for this game.
Some of the graphics in the game's cut scenes (for instance, Sterner Regnix's communications officer) are literally lifted from the Star Wars films.