Forums > Game Forums > Maupiti Island > Game freezes when I try to read anything

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 10/12/2014 6:53 AM · Permalink · Report

I finally decided to give this game a try more thoroughly (it's just beautiful, but its difficulty level had already scared me off). However, I encounter a problem. When I try to read any "written objects" I find - letters, notes etc. - the game freezes. The only exception is the letter found in the protagonist's room at the very beginning - I can read it just OK, however when I choose "read" with any other letter etc., the game becomes unresponsive; I can move the cursor, but can't do anything and have to exit the game by clicking the "close" icon on the DOSBox window border. Can I do anything to prevent it? I've even found an Amiga version with an in-built emulator, but DOS games are lighter on the computer and it's easier to take screenshots - they just appear automatically where they should when I press the correct combination, so I'd prefer to complete the DOS version.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 10/12/2014 9:06 AM · Permalink · Report

Wait a couple of years and I imagine that Mortville Manor's support in SCUMMVM will be followed by this game's.

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 10/12/2014 3:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I've accidentally found a solution, so I'm posting it here in case anyone else has the same problem (and it seems every player does - not so many people may stumble upon it simply because it's not a widely-known game, but the bug seems universal at least to "Maupiti Island" played via DOSBox). Check out this lengthy review of the game - the author gives a link to a little patch at the end. Preliminary results (tried quickly on one letter in Marie's room): it works.

Fred VT (25953) on 10/12/2014 4:40 PM · Permalink · Report

We should start hosting those kind of patches, and maybe offer downloads of free games that may eventually disappear...

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 10/13/2014 10:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Btw, I have another uestion related to reading. How do I read something that is already in my inventory? I click "Read", I click on the item, but I only get the answer "It doesn't help to be a bookworm"... This game is really non-intuitive...