DescriptionThe Northern lands of the realm of Arkania are in trouble. The orc tribes, previously scattered and unorganized, have been united under strong leadership and are planning a large-scale attack on human settlements. A sword known as Grimring, or the Blade of Destiny, is the only weapon powerful enough to defeat the orcish chief and his minions. However, the whereabouts of the sword are unknown, with only one treasure map torn into pieces providing a clear clue. Hetman Tronde Torbensson, the leader of Thorwal, hires a party of adventurers to find the map pieces, locate the sword, and stop the invasion of the orcs - all within two years.
Blade of Destiny is the first in the row of role-playing games based on the German pen-and-paper RPG system Das Schwarze Auge ("The Dark Eye"). The player generates a party of six characters divided into "archetypes", which combine characteristics of classes and fantasy races. Alongside seven "positive" attributes (such as strength, wisdom, etc.) commonly encountered in RPGs, each character also possesses "negative" attributes, which include various phobias as well as traits such as avarice or violent temper, all of which affect the character's behavior and reaction during the course of the game. In addition, each character has skills ranging from weapon proficiency to lying and knowledge of geography.
The game itself takes place in pseudo-3D environments. Towns and dungeons are explored by moving through those environments from first-person view. However, monsters do not appear within them and each hostile encounter takes the player to a separate isometric battle screen. Battles are turn-based and tactical, allowing navigation on the field as well as taking into account details such as the direction the combatants are facing, their current physical state, etc. Traveling between towns and other areas of interest is done on a 2D map. Characters eventually become hungry and tired, and can also get sick, so travel planning and provisions are essential.
- "天命之劍" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "DSA 1" -- Common German abbreviation
- "Das Schwarze Auge: Die Schicksalsklinge" -- German title
- "Das Schwarze Auge: Die Nordland-Trilogie Teil I - Die Schicksalsklinge" -- German CD-ROM release title
Part of the Following Groups
- Gameplay feature: Auto-mapping
- Realms of Arkania / Das Schwarze Auge series
- The Dark Eye / Das Schwarze Auge universe
|The Dawn of the best RPG-Series on PCs||DOS||BostonGeorge (427)|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||DOS||May, 1992||11 out of 12||92|
|Amiga Format||Amiga||Sep, 1993||91 out of 100||91|
|PC Joker||DOS||Mar, 1992||90 out of 100||90|
|CU Amiga||Amiga||Aug, 1993||86 out of 100||86|
|Amiga Games||Amiga||Dec, 1992||84 out of 100||84|
|Pixel-Heroes.de||DOS||Mar, 2004||8 out of 10||80|
|The One Amiga||Amiga||Sep, 1993||73 out of 100||73|
|Power Unlimited||DOS||Oct, 1993||7 out of 10||70|
|Amiga Power||Amiga||Oct, 1993||67 out of 100||67|
|Games Master||Amiga||Sep, 1993||32 out of 100||32|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Locked doors, keys and lockpicks||1||Alex Z (1593)
Apr 07, 2012
BugsThe first release of the game was bug-pestered. They didn't even get the copy protection right. Included was an annoying doc check from the manual and a large color map ("what town is north/south/east/west of that town"), but the manual was misprinted so some questions had the wrong answers. They included a correction sheet which made the protection even more stupid. In some cases, even correct answers to the map questions were accounted as wrong.
Guido the DruidOne of the pre-made characters, which are stored in the temple, is a druid called Guido. In an interview with Guido Henkel on crystals-dsa-foren.de in September 2007, he commented on the subject:
That's a relict, I believe. Of course we had all kinds of standard and test parties during the development and the testing phase of the game. Looks like the one or other character wasn't removed correctly.
IntroIt's an interesting fact that the Orcs in DSA are generally black instead of the usual green as seen in nearly every other fantasy product. But during the intro sequence they are shown also as standard orcs with green skin. That is due to the fact that the intro has been drawn by external graphic artists, who weren't familiar with the DSA world. And because changes would have been too expensive and too complex at that time, Attic used the already drawn intro.
OriginThe three founders of Attic Entertainment Hans-Jürgen Brändle, Jochen Hamma and Guido Henkel used to play the original P&P DSA years before they developed Blade of Destiny. However, only the later director of Attic Entertainment Brändle was a hardcore player in his youth and played in several groups.
Save FunctionRealms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny featured an unusual save function. Anytime the player saved the game outside a temple, all characters lost one experience point (which is not much, but still noticeable in the Schwarzes Auge RPG system). Saving a lot would weaken their characters considerably. That was implemented by the developers on purpose to prevent people from using the save-mode as a cheating device and to immerse the player more into the game's world.
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 02/1993 – #2 Best Game of 1992 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 02/1993 – Best RPG of 1992 (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- Arhu's Dreamworld (Contains a "Traveller's Guide" that includes a map of the game that shows locations of dungeons, lists of items, deities and their miracles, NPCs, shops and the amount of wares they offer, and a thorough record of all fifty-two towns you can visit.)
- Blade of Destiny Walkthrough (Walkthrough on Games Over)
- DSA - Die Nordlandtrilogie ( mostly german ) (The biggest German fan-page of the Realms of Arkania Trilogy. Contains just about everything you need to about the trilogy. Maps, items, bug lists, patches, tips and tips & tricks, etc... It probably is the most complete database about the trilogy on the web. Unfortunately the the site is in German, but there is some effort at the moment to translate the major parts into English. Already done are the maps. )