DescriptionThe city finally having secured an eviction notice, the demolition contractor is contractually obligated to conduct an inventory of the Wizard of Wordplay's manor before knocking it down, clearing the spooky space for cheap condos or a mini-mall. The only problem is that with his peculiar and punny powers pervading the property, the poor prestidigitator's possessions pooh-pooh playing possum, putting punitive and perilous portents into play, preventing the project from proceeding. (Phew!)
Surely this is a job for a veteran text adventurer such as yourself! In your previous adventures, you only engaged grues and dwarfs with language -- here (as in spiritual predecessors Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It and T-Zero), you're climbing into the ring with language itself, grappling everything from an abundance of asinine alliteration to dinosaur etymology within the first few rooms. Not since the raconting of Racter has a text environment (Oulip)owed so much to the playful linguistic experimentation of the avant-garde and simpleminded -- a perplexing source of inspiration most works of interactive fiction have been only too eager to a void. Here at last, to triumph, you will have to truly demonstrate that the pen is mightier than the sword!
There are no promo images for this game
- "Venenarius Verborum" -- Spanish title
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
There are no critic reviews for this game.
There are currently no topics for this game.
- Annual Interactive Fiction Competition
- 2000 - Miss Congeniality prize (favourite game of the competing authors)
- 2000 - #4 out of 53
- XYZZY Awards
- 2000 - Best Puzzles
- 2000 - Finalist in the "Best Use of Medium" category
- 2000 - Finalist in the "Best Individual Puzzle" category
Related Web Sites
- Download Ad Verbum (An updated version of the full game is available for free, legal download from the author's website. (Z-code interpreter not included.))
- Play Ad Verbum online! (The full game is playable through your web browser.)
- Wikipedia: Ad Verbum (Article about the game in the open encyclopedia)
- Words Matter: Nick Montfort's Ad Verbum, A Very Close Reading (An academic paper on Ad Verbum by Edmond Chang.)