Forums > Game Forums > Wolfenstein 3D > Apple IIgs?

Andy Voss (1861) on 10/26/2007 3:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I noticed someone added Apple IIgs as a platform for Wolf 3D. Is it an officially published release? There is no publisher specified. If it's just a homebrew conversion, it really shouldn't be added under the same game entry.

St. Martyne (3648) on 10/26/2007 4:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Andy Voss wrote--]I noticed someone added Apple IIgs as a platform for Wolf 3D. Is it an officially published release? There is no publisher specified. If it's just a homebrew conversion, it really shouldn't be added under the same game entry. [/Q --end Andy Voss wrote--]

Here's Joe Siegler's (3D Realms) account on the matter of Wolf3D for Apple IIGS. According to him it was released freeware by Logicware based on the permission granted by id Software.

An Aplle IIGS group Ninjaforce supplied Art and Sound for the game. Look over this neat interview depicting all the challenges the team faced.

According to it -- the GS version of Wolf 3D is the ONLY version featuring authentic German voices.

Andy Voss (1861) on 10/30/2007 6:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm.. well, it appears id and 3DRealms at least recognize the port.. but neither officially supports it. So, in that sense, it's more "official" than, say, the Amiga port of Doom or the Atari ST version of Wolf 3D. So let's keep it, and we'll decide later whether or not to split it into its own entry.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 10/30/2007 7:23 PM · Permalink · Report

since the source code was released in 1995 I don't see that exotic ports following that point are necessarily so homebrew; no, iD didn't make it, but yes, it is significantly built on their work.

Игги Друге (46653) on 10/31/2007 5:17 PM · Permalink · Report

It's absolutely official. No need to split.

Terok Nor (41955) on 10/31/2007 5:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Unless there are different levels, weapons or enemies, as with most ports of the game.

Игги Друге (46653) on 10/26/2007 6:30 PM · Permalink · Report

The lack of release information is probably due to a submitter who didn't do his homework.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 10/26/2007 7:09 PM · Permalink · Report

burn! I've just, uh, always been hazy on the distinctions between official and unofficial publishing, dealing as I do primarily with the amateur + homebrew freeware set (Yeah, this guy called himself suchandsuchSoft, and no, it never appeared on store shelves). If it's 4 am and I'm left with a tricky judgment call I leave it blank to be someone else's problem and figure the approvers will most likely hassle it out before it's ultimately approved.

So yes, you could say I didn't do my homework... or you could say I'm being generous and leaving the points for someone else 8)

Игги Друге (46653) on 10/26/2007 11:25 PM · Permalink · Report

If you're in a particularly generous mood, you can skip submitting the game at all.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 10/27/2007 7:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Sometimes you need to open the door before people realise they can go through 8)