Action Biker (Commodore 64)

2.9
Written by  :  piltdown_man (71719)
Written on  :  Aug 08, 2010
Platform  :  Commodore 64
Rating  :  2.67 Stars2.67 Stars2.67 Stars2.67 Stars2.67 Stars

read more reviews by piltdown_man

Summary

Easy to play, maddeningly frustrating, has that 'one more time' factor

The Good

The controls are simple, steer Colin around his world collecting objects. The more you accelerate the faster you go, any braking and you come to a dead stop. It's that simple.

There's pleasant plinky plonky in the background and, mercifully, there's the option to turn it off when it gets too much. There's a bonus counter that decreases the longer you take to complete a level.

Level design is fiendish, so many things to avoid, cunning placement of objects near obstacles so you must choose the right path and the right speed to collect them.

The Bad

I just could not get the hang of the controls and I kept crashing - and there's a lot to crash into.

I must have missed something because I did not know what I had to do to complete a level so I ended up driving around until I crashed & died.

The Bottom Line

Great way to fill a wet Sunday afternoon.

This is one of those games that you will try 'just one more time' to see if you can get further or beat your last score.

Nowadays though there's not much long term appeal and you'd be unlikely to feel compelled to complete all levels.