Less than 60 games needed to complete our goal of 1,500 documented Arcade titles!

Boulder Dash (Commodore 64)

Written by  :  Arno Weber (3)
Written on  :  Jan 09, 2004
Platform  :  Commodore 64

read more reviews by Arno Weber

Summary

The best game ever !! It has everything we want: action, strategic thinking, puzzles, and a construction kit to create our own levels.

The Good

Many things. It is a game with a simple setup: You are Rockford exploring a 2-dimensional field called a cave. You objective is to pick up a required number of diamonds and find the exit which opens when you have collected enough diamonds. This is not always an easy job! There are falling boulders, chasing fireflies and butterflies which can be deadly for Rockford. There are in total 12 different elements each with their own properties and special rules. Therefore you need logic and strategic reasoning to solve BD caves. Some cave are so difficult that it can take hours to solve, this makes BD very addictive! I also like the very nice graphics and sounds, they are so recognizable; they make BD a classic among all the games. Finally there is a construction which enables you to create your own caves and there exist tools for packing these caves together to create your own games! If you want to know more about BD please visit my page about this wonderful game: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~aeweber/bd.html.

The Bad

Nothing !!

The Bottom Line

A classic one! Everyone should try this game, to be addicted for hours, days and nights. If you are creative, there's also a construction kit which enables you to create your own levels!