Current MobyGoal: On our way to 3,500 documented Amiga games!

Burnin Rubber (Commodore 64)

Written by  :  VictorVance (3292)
Written on  :  Feb 22, 2014

read more reviews by VictorVance

Summary

Spy Hunter without weapons

The Good

The game looks and plays very similar to Spy Hunter although it was released earlier. Here it is about a race where you can destroy your opponents vehicles. This can be done in two ways. You can ram your opponents so that they are crashing into something or you can simply jump onto them (like in countless platform games). While some enemy´s are very easy to bump some others are a bit more massive (and award more points) all can be eliminated by landing on them one time.

Yes jumping is a unique feature in this game that I haven´t seen in another similar one. Jumping isn´t only needed to destroy other vehicles sometimes bridges are out and you need to jump over water for example and in some cases precise timing is needed as there is more than just one gap.

Another nice detail is the change of the seasons during gameplay which basically just differs the scenery colors but making it visually more interesting.

The scrolling is very fluently in this game which makes it very pleasant to play.

The Bad

The music definitely! Don´t get me wrong it is a very nice soundtrack the problem only is: it is just one track played in an infinite loop without any break over and over again and you can only listen for a few minutes to it before you have to turn down the volume or switch it off completely. I played this game in the 1980´s and later forgot it´s name. Then more than 20 years later I found this game by accident on the Internet, watched a video about it and almost immediately remembered the whole track!

The game can become very repetitive as there is no definitive goal but this is the "problem" with every game that focuses on hunting for the "High Score".

The Bottom Line

Very well made game that offers high playability! I can only recommend it to everyone who is searching a fast and easy to learn action racing game for the Commodore 64, but don´t forget to turn down the volume!!!