Moby Poll: How many game soundtracks do you own?

Headache (Commodore 64)

Written by  :  *Katakis* (37821)
Written on  :  May 09, 2014

read more reviews by *Katakis*

Summary

Simple game that has unusual mechanics

The Good

This is one of the decent games that Firebird produced for the Commodore 64. It is a simple platform game where you have to wait for an impulse to be ready and taken to the brain. If an impulse forms in the brain, you need to carry it to the neck. Watch for Throbs and Head-Banger that will make your life a misery.

What's unique about Headache is the way that the platforms are located inside a human head, and the timer counts down – but not in a way that you expect. It is actually a countdown to the next level, and the fact that this is a gameplay mechanic not found in most games is neat.

The Throbs takes the form of jellyfish, waffles, etc. They appear from the brain and work their way down to the platforms, and they have the ability to climb up and down ladders. I get in the habit of going up to the brain when a Throb is about to respawn, causing me to lose a life immediately. The animation of these Throbs are nice.

The transition effects are excellent, and this is accompanied by a nice sci-fi-style sound effect. The background music plays almost through the entire game, and it is easy to listen to. My biggest gripe about playing is meeting Hand Banger, since he is quite fast and doesn't give me a chance to prepare myself for him. If he gets to the brain, then a sound effect is heard, then it will be enough to actually give you a headache.

The Bad

Nothing.

The Bottom Line

Headache is a platform game with unusual gameplay mechanics. For example, everything takes place inside a human head, and the timer counts down to the next level. The transitions are quite nice, and the sound effects are quite nice. The game could rival those for the Atari 2600 since this is just a really simple game to get used to.