User Review Spotlight: An in-depth review of Superman (N64), which has a reputation for being one of the worst games ever made.

Sid Meier's Pirates! (Commodore 64)

Written by  :  Peter Brady (4)
Written on  :  Apr 17, 2003
Platform  :  Commodore 64

read more reviews by Peter Brady

Summary

The most timeless game I have ever found

The Good

For me, even the 8 bit version of this game is pretty flawless. From the ability to choose a combination of a historical period and nationality, to the freedom of choice in in-game actions, the scope of this game is only just being reached by far more sophisticated modern releases (Operation Flashpoint for example) I first played this game aged about 9 on a commodore 64, and it held me captivated for months, if not years. I have now downloaded it for a 64 emmulator, and am once again spending most of my gaming hours (limited, as a married man of 26 with 2 kids) playing it once again. This game has educational importance as well. Other have said that this game taught them more about the period than schooling, and I can only agree. My interest in the period has endured, so much so that I am hopefully to soon join an expedition to St Kitts to explore the maritime archaeology in the area.

The Bad

In all honesty, I cannot fault the C64 version of the game.....except that Bach and Handel (major musical contributors to the game) were of a later period... Bach wasnt born 'till March 1685!!!!!! Having said this, I wont deny that the choice of scores set the scene! :-)

The Bottom Line

Pure freedom to loot, pillage and cause as much havoc as you care to wreak!