DescriptionYou are now a member of the Silent Service, the US Navy Submarine command. For a long while after Pearl Harbor, you are the only forces capable of striking back at the Japanese in the Pacific. Take one of the "fleet boats" and go on extended patrols of up to 2 months from Hawaii, Australia, or New Zealand. Set your difficulty/realism level and time period (early means less tech for juicier targets, later means tougher escorts, more tech, lousier targets). Contend with factors like dud torpedoes, maximum depth, and more.
You can choose among practice run against some old hulks, recreate historical convoy attacks, go on a single patrol, or go on your own campaign, which lets you go multiple patrols until you die, get promoted, or survive the war.
How well will you do when matched against history?
- "Silent Service: The Submarine Simulation" -- Tag-lined title
- "Das U-Boot" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
- BPjS / BPjM indexed games
- Games with manual lookup copy protection
- Historical conflict: World War II
- Setting: Aquatic / Underwater
- Setting: Australian / Oceanian
- Silent Service series
- Theme: Submarine
There are no reviews for the Commodore 64 release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|Commodore Format||Aug, 1992||89 out of 100||89|
|Zzap! (Italy)||May, 1986||88 out of 100||88|
|Zzap!||May, 1986||88 out of 100||88|
|Joker Verlag präsentiert: Sonderheft||1990||83 out of 100||83|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Dec, 1991||40|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Jan, 1986||Unscored||Unscored|
There are currently no topics for this game.
German indexOn March 23, 1988 the game was taken off the the German index after the German distributor Rushware entered an objection. MicroProse themselves also objected, stated that a law should not lump computer software in with pornographic videos. The incident was even discussed on the front cover of the UK newspaper The Independent.
- Commodore Format
- July 1993 (Issue 34) - Modern Classics: Sims
- Computer Gaming World
- November 1996 (15th Anniversary issue) - #86 on the "150 Best Games of All Time" list
- Happy Computer
- 1986 - Best Simulation of the Year
- Issue 04/1987 - #3 Best Game in 1986 (Readers' Vote)