Tetris (Commodore 64)

Written by  :  *Katakis* (37741)
Written on  :  Mar 11, 2012
Platform  :  Commodore 64
Rating  :  4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars
read more reviews by *Katakis*

Summary

One of the better versions of Tetris worth playing

The Good

If you are a gamer like me, you most probably have heard of an addictive puzzle game called Tetris. It was released on every platform you can think of, and it was all the rage back in the day. When I still had my Commodore 64, I never got to experience this game (although I heard about it many times). But when I had my PC, I saw my sister playing Tetris Classic. I had a go myself and just couldn't stop playing it.

The game is so easy to grasp, so I won't bore you with the details. The reason why I couldn't stop playing it is because I wanted to beat my line count in every game. And I did the same thing with every version of Tetris I had a go at. There is a high score table so you can attack your score if you want.

Although there is a number of Tetris games out there for the Commodore 64, it is Mirrorsoft's version that remains my favorite to this day. Tetris for the 64 has a dark theme to it. The game welcomes you to a nice title screen on a black background, showing two naked figures side by side. The title above it looks very good, and it blends in with the gray background. During the game, the starry background looks spectacular. I'm not sure if the background changes after you level up; I haven't gotten that far yet.

The highlight of the game is the background music It is well composed. In fact, I could go one step further by claiming that it is the best music that I heard coming out of the 64. It is played all throughout the game, even when the game ends.

The Bad

Once you rotated the blocks then position them to where you want them, pushing down on the joystick automatically puts them to the bottom of the playfield. As a result, you don't see them fall, and you have to guess where exactly that piece lands. The blocks haven't got borders around the edges of each section, so they look boring.

The Bottom Line

In conclusion, I found this version of Tetris for the Commodore 64 to be superior than others released for the same platform. The game's dark theme works. It has some great brackground music that is played throughout the game, and the backgrounds are amazing. Not much else to say really. If you are looking for a decent Tetris game for the 64, this is it.