Current MobyGoal: On our way to 3,500 documented Amiga games!

Jumpman Junior (ColecoVision)

Also For
4.5
Written by  :  gametrader (229)
Written on  :  Jan 19, 2006
Platform  :  ColecoVision
Rating  :  4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars

read more reviews by gametrader

Summary

The best old school ladders and girders platform game

The Good

With the Coleco version released you did not need a $500 computer to play it on. The concept was simple. The levels got progressively harder. Even when you completed each different level and came back to the first they did get slightly harder. And by the time you were good enough to play the game and get to a maximum difficulty it was still challenging to go for a high score. The custom speed level per player was a great feature for kids and spouses that needed things to be a little slower.

The Bad

There is nothing about this game I did not like when I bought it brand new when it was released. And over 20 years later there is still nothing I can find wrong with it.

The Bottom Line

Mario may have started the platform game but Jumpman defined it. Jumpman Junior was created to fit in the smaller confines of a cartridge. As usual the storyline in the manual offers a bit of creative license. You must maneuver your jumpman on each level disarming every bomb to move to the next level. Ladders, girders, and ropes that move you up or down are the basic elements making up each stage. More often than not when you touch a bomb to disarm it another element changes. Like girders rearrange themselves, or obstacles appear right where you were going to move. Sometimes the ladders or girders themselves are moving. And did I mention the random bullets coming at you from all sides of the screen that lock on to your position as soon as they cross your plane. This is one of my all time favorite games and I am proud to say I played for 4 hours once just to roll the score over.