New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

Elite (Amstrad CPC)

Elite Amstrad CPC Loading screen

MISSING COVER

2.6
Written by  :  pophase (8)
Written on  :  May 11, 2006
Platform  :  Amstrad CPC
Rating  :  4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars

read more reviews by pophase

Summary

Welcome, Commander Jameson.

The Good

It was truly an entire universe on a single floppy disk. I remember me and my father playing this game for ages, he more than me. It took ages until we could afford a landing computer, relieving us of the dangerous task of docking that could get you killed if you weren't careful. And then some more ages until we could afford the military laser.. and virtually infinite time until we had the rank of "elite".. but it was all fun and so exciting, the special missions inbetween usual trading/hunting, special gadgets like the cloaking device..

The Bad

The promised black ship that killed Jason's father never showed up! Ships that were described in the manual weren't in the game! And I wished so much I could swap my Cobra Mk 3 against one of those hellish fast Asps.. however, all those "glitches" never affected overall gameplay for me that much.

The Bottom Line

You need endurance and patience. Prepare for frustration when you carry a lot of cargo to a dangerous zone, fight lots of pirates, only to crash against the Coriolis station because you didn't pay enough attention to the docking rectangle.. it's hard!! - But it's also fair and rewarding.